Compaq upgrade help

New to computers so bear with me. Got a used computer but had no info on
it but what was listed on "my computer" info page, no model number,et.
Downloaded "Belarc Adviser" and says i have a Compaq Deskpro EP/ SB
series,made 08/18/99 with windows SE. Processor is 600 megahertz intel
pentium III. What is the max size hardrive i can add with
this CPU ??. On scan list
under Memory Modules it says 128 megabytes installed. Slot 'Dimm #1:J1'
has 64mb. Slot 'Dimm #2:J2' has 64mb. Slot 'Dimm #3:J3' is empty. What
is the most ram i can add and do i use all the slot's ??. Think i
seen somewhere you can only go so much ram and harddrive depending on
your cpu. Thanks for any help.

What sort of chipset does Belarc identify? If the chipset is an Intel 440BX
(likely), you can install 3x128MB DIMMs with low-density memory chips. There is
an outside chance that the system will accept 256MB low-density DIMMs.

Is the processor a Slot 1 or a Socket 370? Open the case to find out. The
system may also be able to run a faster CPU.

Hard drive capacity is problematic. I have grappled with the hard disk
limitation of 16GB on a new Compaq DeskPro, but it is one of the small form
factor ones... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:42:42 -0800, ezriderman@webtv.net (Earl) wrote:

>New to computers so bear with me. Got a used computer but had no info on
>it but what was listed on "my computer" info page, no model number,et.
>Downloaded "Belarc Adviser" and says i have a Compaq Deskpro EP/ SB
>series,made 08/18/99 with windows SE. Processor is 600 megahertz intel
>pentium III. What is the max size hardrive i can add with
>this CPU ??. On scan list
>under Memory Modules it says 128 megabytes installed. Slot 'Dimm #1:J1'
>has 64mb. Slot 'Dimm #2:J2' has 64mb. Slot 'Dimm #3:J3' is empty. What
>is the most ram i can add and do i use all the slot's ??. Think i
>seen somewhere you can only go so much ram and harddrive depending on
>your cpu. Thanks for any help.

The scan did not identify what sort of chipset.It did say, Main Circuit
Board= Board: Compaq 041ch, Serial number:6023DFXCA170, Bus clock:100
megahertz, Bios: Compaq 686T2 08/18/99. Do not know if this helps as
new and most over my head but want to learn. Guess will need to take off
case and maybe find some numbers. Have a site saved that gaves terms
for pc stuff, so will do a search as do not know what a processor a
Slot 1 or a Socket 370 is. As for harddrive,anything would be
better than the tiny 3.2 i have now. Thanks Ben

The bus clock is 100Mhz, so the processor runs at the same speed. This is
likely to be a Slot 1, but open up the chassis to see. A Slot 1 processor is a
longish affair with a black cover, and it sits vertically in the slot on the
motherboard. A Socket 370 processor is a little over an inch square and it has
a cooling fan mounted on top.

The programs AIDA-32 (Windows) and AIDA-16 (DOS) apparently do a better job of
identifying the CPU and chipset than Belarc. Give AIDA-32 a try. It's another
free download. If the chipset is Intel 440BX, the processor is almost certainly
Slot 1. If the chipset is either an Intel 810-series or an Intel 815-series,
the processor would be Socket 370. However, your description that the
motherboard has three DIMM sockets means that a Slot 1 and 440BX chipset are
almost a dead certainty... Ben Myers

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:35:49 -0800, ezriderman@webtv.net (Earl) wrote:

>The scan did not identify what sort of chipset.It did say, Main Circuit
>Board= Board: Compaq 041ch, Serial number:6023DFXCA170, Bus clock:100
>megahertz, Bios: Compaq 686T2 08/18/99. Do not know if this helps as
>new and most over my head but want to learn. Guess will need to take off
>case and maybe find some numbers. Have a site saved that gaves terms
>for pc stuff, so will do a search as do not know what a processor a
>Slot 1 or a Socket 370 is. As for harddrive,anything would be
>better than the tiny 3.2 i have now. Thanks Ben

I downloaded aida32 to my downloads but not able to get it to work for
some reason. Do not see anywhere to start scan like on the Belare. How
do you check your computer with it ??.

In news:16911-41C4C8E4-666@storefull-3274.bay.webtv.net,
Earl <ezriderman@webtv.net> opined very noisily:
> I downloaded aida32 to my downloads but not able to get it to work for
> some reason. Do not see anywhere to start scan like on the Belare. How
> do you check your computer with it ??.

Try the replcement --- " Everest " from
http://www.lavalys.com/
:)