Heatsink for P4 2.8C

thanniel

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
I just brought my new P4 2.8C and intend to use the heatsink that comes with the CPU. My question is do I have to remove the black sticker on the heatsink before mounting it on the CPU? I was told that the heatsink is pre applied with the thermal stuff, however I can't seem to find any of it in the heatsink surface at all, is this ok?

Thanks

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
DO NOT REMOVE THE BLACK "STUFF"!!! That is the thermal material, just go ahead and install the heatsink as is.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF
Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 GAT Auto
Corsair XMS 512MB TwinX3200C2 2-3-3-6
GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB
Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
The black sticker is thermal tape. Many people remove the thermal tape and apply thermal paste when doing some serious overclocking. This is not required for stock speeds. The tape should work just fine for you.

<font color=white>---</font color=white>
Wanted: Large breasted live-in housekeeper. Must be a good cook, organized, and willing to pick up after me.

thanniel

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
It just happen that I removed the tape out already but still keep it. Can I just stick it back or do I have to buy the thermal paste/grease and which brand would you recommend?

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
If you've taken it off then it is too late. You might as well throw it out now. Go but yourself some Artic Silver 3. It's probably the most refered/recommeneded past around here. If you don't want that, than any thermal paste would do (a.k.a. radio shack brand), but the Artic silver will do the best job.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might have a hard time explaining why there's no thermal tape on the CPU should you require warranty service!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>