Recover regkey

I have had to replace a failed hdd and reinstall XP and programs. I managed
to get all my data and mail from the duff disk, (I can read most of it when
installed as slave d: drive) but one prog tells me I have an invalid regkey
value and won't run.

Does anyone know of a way I can interrogate the registry on the bad disk to
find what value I had before?

This message has been checked for all known viruses.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential
and may be the subject of legal, professional or other privilege. It is
intended for the named addressee only and may not be disclosed to any other
parties without the prior permission of the originator.
4 answers Last reply
More about recover regkey

    Just reinstall the program and move on.

    Would it not be easier to just reinstall that program???
    peterk

    "Alan C" <nospam@noisp.com> wrote in message
    >I have had to replace a failed hdd and reinstall XP and programs. I
    >managed to get all my data and mail from the duff disk, (I can read most of
    >it when installed as slave d: drive) but one prog tells me I have an
    >invalid regkey value and won't run.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way I can interrogate the registry on the bad disk
    > to find what value I had before?

    > This message has been checked for all known viruses.
    >
    > The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is
    > confidential and may be the subject of legal, professional or other
    > privilege. It is intended for the named addressee only and may not be
    > disclosed to any other parties without the prior permission of the
    > originator.

    I wrote "I have had to replace a failed hdd and reinstall XP and programs".
    This specific prog was a web download that's not currently available, hence
    my need to get at the regkey.

    Alan C wrote:

    > I wrote "I have had to replace a failed hdd and reinstall XP and
    > programs". This specific prog was a web download that's not currently
    > available, hence my need to get at the regkey.
    >
    > "The Cuddly Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    >> Just reinstall the program and move on.

    If you use data recovery software on the failed drive (assuming the
    drive will stay up long enough to do so), you can't access the registry
    nor can you run any programs. You can only see files. Now, if the
    program had its license key in a text file in its Program folder, you
    would be able to find it and save it.

    The only other way I know to access the registry in your case is with
    ERD Commander 2005 (very expensive). If the license key is not
    encrypted and easily found in the registry, you could find it. I think
    you could also do something like this with a Bart's PE but I'm not sure
    how. Again, the damaged hard drive would need to stay up long enough to
    do this.

    If the program was extremely expensive and irreplaceable, you could send
    the drive to a professional data recovery firm such as DriveSavers
    (www.drivesavers.com). DriveSavers are amazing, but their services are
    not cheap.

    Malke
    --