I use winchat.exe in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32" folder to talk with two other
computers on my network. Against my better judgement I have installed SP2 on
one machine as an experiment and am already sorry for doing it. First..the
firewall is completely off. When you dial from the computer with SP2
installed the other 2 do not respond, they did before. When the other 2
computers dial the computer with SP2 installed it will not respond, it did
before. If I cannot use this feature now because of this SP2 is there a way
to uninstall this nightmare? I will reinstall windows to rid myself of it if
I have to

=?Utf-8?B?TWFqb3IgQ2F0YXN0cm9waGU=?= wrote:

> I use winchat.exe in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32" folder to talk with two other
> computers on my network. Against my better judgement I have installed SP2 on
> one machine as an experiment and am already sorry for doing it. First..the

SP2 on its own is a fine upgrade. SP2 installed improperly or on a
messed up PC may cause niggles.

eg. dont use sp2 to fix messed up pcs.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

"Plato" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?TWFqb3IgQ2F0YXN0cm9waGU=?= wrote:
> >
> > I use winchat.exe in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32" folder to talk with two other
> > computers on my network. Against my better judgement I have installed SP2 on
> > one machine as an experiment and am already sorry for doing it. First..the
>
> SP2 on its own is a fine upgrade. SP2 installed improperly or on a
> messed up PC may cause niggles.
>
> eg. dont use sp2 to fix messed up pcs.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/
>

> XP installation is very recent , is properly installed and PC functions fine. I'm afraid "niggle" is not understood. In otherwords your solution aooears to unusable and irrelevant. I would welcome "suggestions" on how to fix it

I've addressed this issue on another group, it might help you:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web/browse_thread/thread/fd9f6ebf4c4b3bfe/a59ef307af7ad597?lnk=st&q=winchat.exe&rnum=5#a59ef307af7ad597