A64 to be delayed

Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2003 2:39:22 AM

As far as Corsair sees it.

More about : a64 delayed

August 20, 2003 6:12:33 AM

And the great BS begins.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.
August 20, 2003 9:15:17 AM

care to explain that or are you countering poopys bs with some of your own?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 20, 2003 10:28:05 AM

ath-long 64 is delayrd next year (2nd half 2004).

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>
August 20, 2003 12:44:02 PM

i see, its being delayed...what is that about a year?...anybody have a link to anything that documents any of this?
August 20, 2003 12:49:42 PM

if you have links to back this up please post them..
if not we can only assume this is bs much like poopy's bs
August 20, 2003 12:54:04 PM

There is a possibility of it being delayed knowing AMD, but in this case it is highly unlikely. They have been working on it for so long so i don't think it will be delayed except if they want to go bankrupt...

---
If you go to work and your name is on the door, you're rich. If your name is on your desk, you're middle class. If your name is on your shirt, you're poor!
August 20, 2003 12:58:27 PM

yeah thats what i thought.. the original poster needs to post some sort of evidence to back himself up or hes no better than poopy.. or amdmeltdown
August 20, 2003 1:12:50 PM

I can't even believe that you even thought that this might be true. AMD already released a trailer last week advertising the A64 and Sept 23rd as the launch date. There is no way in hell they will delay this CPU. So, everyone be patient and in about a month from now, we will find out all the truth about A64!!!
August 20, 2003 1:27:37 PM

Yes, we definately will...and this site will be spammed so bad..

---
If you go to work and your name is on the door, you're rich. If your name is on your desk, you're middle class. If your name is on your shirt, you're poor!
August 20, 2003 1:44:45 PM

first of all my name is POPE.... secondly do u have something personal agasint me? everything i post i post with a LINK.... i dont just start a thread " INTEL FOLDS" with no links to support it
August 20, 2003 2:11:32 PM

sorry pope .. no i have nothing against you
August 20, 2003 2:49:11 PM

I think I found out what he's talking about:

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11129" target="_new">Corsair casts doubt on AMD Athlon 64 performance</A>

Thats an article from The Inquirer. And it isn't about A64 being delayed, but more about not as much performance as expected.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=24106" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=535386" target="_new">3DMark03</A>
August 20, 2003 3:33:59 PM

it also states that ddr-|| is markitechture from intel.

---
August 20, 2003 4:50:48 PM

It also states DDR-2 add little in performance increase as we saw with the 5900 Ultra
August 20, 2003 7:51:38 PM

5900 Ultra uses plain DDR.
DDR-II for graphics has no advancements in data rate, only clocking.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
August 21, 2003 2:35:00 AM

Hard OCP had they article yesterday!!
August 21, 2003 2:22:51 PM

Where on HardOCP have you read that A64 was going to be delayed? I can't find those news anywhere.

Besides, it can't be true. Like someone said, AMD has already released a trailer, and have had this date set since a long while back. If they delay it further, they'd be toast.

My system: Intel Pentium 4 3.0, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI 875P Neo / Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro / Antec TruePower 550W / 2x Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
SamsungDVD / Lite-On CDRW
August 21, 2003 3:38:23 PM

Even if DDR-II adds little performance over DDR-I, then Grantsdale is still going to be a good thing. Consider that the current P4 <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030812/index..." target="_new">can benefit tremendously</A> from a 1Ghz FSB, and you'll see that the point in moving to DDR-II is to make way for DDR533, which is usually impossible with normal DDR-I. And A DDR533-dual-channel P4 using a 1066Ghz FSB will probably give them a good performance boost...

:evil:  <font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles
August 22, 2003 2:52:46 AM

Don't forget Tejas atarting with 4.4 or 4.5 Ghz. With 1.2 Fsb. Not sure when they go to 1.2 Fsb.
August 22, 2003 2:53:48 AM

Tejas goes to 65Nm.
August 22, 2003 3:08:33 AM

Read articles for 19 Aug. Subject Corsair.
August 22, 2003 5:26:55 AM

With the way things are, I wouldn't expect a 0.065m Tejas before 2005, that is a given. A process with chip release just don't go within the same year as a new process product (the previous one just finalized, in this case the 0.09m).

--
August 22, 2003 10:26:04 AM

Sorry, but I can't find anything. Are you talking about the Corsair seminar? In that case, it's just an estimation from the company that AMD is not ready to release A64 yet.

My system: Intel Pentium 4 3.0, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI 875P Neo / Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro / Antec TruePower 550W / 2x Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
August 22, 2003 11:07:58 AM

yes! and even the shift to nano processing don't go smooth.

<i>COMPUTERS</i> need <b>UPGRADES</b>; <i>UPGRADES</i> need <b>MONEY</b>,
"but" <b>MONEY</b> - heck, <i>it's no easy task.</i>
August 22, 2003 11:09:16 AM

nehalem maybe 65nm or 45nm. but no info is released in public.

<i>COMPUTERS</i> need <b>UPGRADES</b>; <i>UPGRADES</i> need <b>MONEY</b>,
"but" <b>MONEY</b> - heck, <i>it's no easy task.</i>
August 22, 2003 2:43:29 PM

yeah you better starting talking about TEJAS

prescott will not be the AMD KILLER you stayed up late praying for
August 22, 2003 3:04:10 PM

Quote:
it also states that ddr-|| is markitechture from intel.

I just noticed the DDRII misconceptions and thought that I'd interject a little piece of reality here.

It is true that DDRII itself does absolutely nothing to improve the performance over an equal speed of DDR. That however was not DDRII's point.

The problem with DDR is that it has signal noise problems at high clock speeds and because of this it <i>can't</i> be used effectively in a PC at much higher speeds. (At least as long as companies adhere strictly to the standards ... which most companies have been forced to all but ignore the standards because of this.)

DDRII on the other hand addresses these issues solidly <i>in the standards</i>. This will allow companies to produce standard-adhering DDRII at much higher clock speeds than standard-adhering DDRI.

And <i>that</i> is the real point of DDRII. It's just an improvement of the standard so that manufacturers start adhering to the standard again. It's no more an Intel marketing machine than it is a blue kite, a verniscous kinid, or a half-deaf grue.

(P.S. That's why GDDR is underway as well. The DDRII standard is designed for PC RAM which has long non-dedicated pathways that are prone to signal noise problems. Graphics cards on the other hand have short dedicated low-noise pathways. So what graphics cards really need is not less noise, but more speed. Hence their own emerging GDDR standards seperate from DDRII and hence why the flop of the very few video cards that tried using DDRII. This is also why graphics cards still use the DDR standard with the theoretical noise problems instead of the lower-noise DDRII standard. DDRII was simply the wrong shoe for graphics cards. It didn't make sense and it didn't fit the graphics card's needs like it does a PC's needs.)

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>
August 22, 2003 8:47:04 PM

I don't understand why those bastards omitted the 4-bit prefetch. Intially DDR-II was projected to have a Quad data rate. I guess now we are stuck to waiting for QDR DDR.
I wonder when Raystonn will come back with his 78GB/sec claim and to tell us how true it still is.

--
August 23, 2003 2:48:58 AM

That's my take on that 2005. That's why my next upgrade will be 2005. Unless I find nice Scotty cheap with Grantsdale Mobo.
August 23, 2003 2:51:19 AM

Right Corsair said with their testing it would not be released in time.
August 23, 2003 2:52:40 AM

Not me. I not waiting to buy Scotty? Maybe you are!!
August 23, 2003 10:41:19 AM

I think Eden has already said this, but I really have to agree with him that due to all of AMD's marketing, there's no way they are gonna delay it any further...they simply can't afford it.

August 23, 2003 8:57:46 PM

It would be the worst press they could get. The place they rented would probably not be available to rent again, due to loss of credibility of their word.

--
August 23, 2003 9:22:00 PM

Yeah, definitely true. Thus AMD would never allow it to happen...unless we're talking serious problems with the processor...and since Opteron works as well as it does, there's no real reason to ever doubt AMD could ever do the insane move to further delay A64.

August 24, 2003 3:16:22 AM

You know their PR team. They'll come uo with some reason why it would be delayed.
August 24, 2003 5:56:08 AM

""You know their PR team. They'll come uo with some reason why it would be delayed.""

Must be talking about INTEL and thier soon to be still born PRESSHOTT... they messiah u was waiting for all this time
August 24, 2003 9:06:34 AM

Nah, I don't believe they could. No reason in the world could ever offset the bad criticism they would get.

How come you believe the A64 would be delayed when the Opteron works just fine? After all, the CPUs are as you know, very similar :wink:

August 24, 2003 2:50:21 PM

We'll see. It's still a month away.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2003 3:27:56 PM

I don't think I should be sayin this, I might get shot! I was @ a LAN with the Tom's HW team last night (they're doing an article I think) , and there was a leading AMD representative taking Q and A. He said:

1. The A64 WILL LAUNCH on time. Sep.22/23, I forget which one

2. Doom III WILL PROBABLY NOT take advantage of Intel's Hyper Threading.

3. The only game available right now, that will show a performance difference with the A64's 64bit path is UT2003.

He encouraged us, (gamers), to e-mail game companies to make their games optomized for 64bit CPU's. A lot of them are deciding right now whether to do it or not.

I can't say anything else, I'm already in jeopardy now!

<A HREF="http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=jive&..." target="_new"> DA GHETTOLICIOUS TOM'S HW </A>
August 24, 2003 3:37:27 PM

The would be nice if Amd does hit their release date.
August 24, 2003 3:38:23 PM

It will be awhile before 64 bit gaming is available.
August 24, 2003 9:57:48 PM

Um, do you want it to be delayed...it's almost sounding like it :wink:

August 25, 2003 12:12:06 AM

What? Those bastards cannot silence you or anything. You're not under NDA, nor is a LAN supposed to. They came there and agreed to take the risk and answer secretive questions. THG would've likely divulged it.

It's not even such an informative thing anyways, nothing we don't know, and the HT thing is only an opinion guess by the AMD rep.

--
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 25, 2003 12:58:35 AM

Yeah, DFI talked about the Lan Party 2 board coming in the future, and editor David Stellmack discussed articles coming to Tom's HW in the near future *cough, voice recognition*. I'll have some pictures up soon, best LAN party i've ever been to. Won a $50 Gear Frip Pro and an exculsive Tom's HW shirt! w00t!

<A HREF="http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=jive&..." target="_new"> DA GHETTOLICIOUS TOM'S HW </A>
August 25, 2003 2:52:22 AM

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero will support 64-bit Athlon64 as written in the counterstrike website. Just don't know when it would be out.

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>
August 25, 2003 3:02:38 AM

I wonder what 64-bit <i> will </i> actually mean for gaming. Does anybody have any ideas what kind of capabilites running a 64-bit gaming application might have?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
August 25, 2003 3:22:41 AM

No I want to see 64 bit. Time to move on with the new stuff.
August 25, 2003 3:24:26 AM

To bad it's taking this long for it to get released. When 64 bit was available a few years back.
August 25, 2003 3:25:53 AM

maybe next year, we'll see several games written in 64-bit.
I hope.

<b><font color=red>
"Remain at stock speed"</b> - The Overclocker.
</font color=red>
!