HP Scanjet 6200C and XP

I have an HP Sacnjet 6200C which I have had since around 99/2000. When
I bought it, I had Windows 98SE and it worked great. I upgraded my OS
to XP home edition, and when I tried to reinstall the scannner, the
computer will not install it. It's like as if the software is
incompatible with XP or something. What do I do to make this scanner
software install work with XP?

Thanks in advance!

Two comments:

What sort of SCSI card is being used with the scanner? Old ISA bus SCSI cards
like the really cheap one from HP are not supported by XP. I recommend an
Adaptec 2900-series NARROW SCSI PCI card.

The original PrecisionScan software provided with your scanner will not work
with XP. You need some updated software, and you may get lucky, find some on
the HP web site, and actually get it working.

What HP has done or, more accurately not done, to support its older scanners is
downright awful. Rather than doing a generic software package that works with
all HP scanners, the fools have done specific packages for various scanner
models and and no upgrades, of course.

I would suggest poking and prodding around the HP web site, looking at any and
all downloads for HP SCSI scanners. There may be a PrecisionScan there that
works with the 6200c. Possibly someone else has succeeded and can point you at
a download that will work... Ben Myers

On 17 Dec 2004 08:52:33 -0800, "sgchannon" <sgchannon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have an HP Sacnjet 6200C which I have had since around 99/2000. When
>I bought it, I had Windows 98SE and it worked great. I upgraded my OS
>to XP home edition, and when I tried to reinstall the scannner, the
>computer will not install it. It's like as if the software is
>incompatible with XP or something. What do I do to make this scanner
>software install work with XP?
>
>Thanks in advance!

On the seventh day, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote...

> I would suggest poking and prodding around the HP web site, looking at any and
> all downloads for HP SCSI scanners. There may be a PrecisionScan there that
> works with the 6200c. Possibly someone else has succeeded and can point you at
> a download that will work... Ben Myers

There is a HP PrecisionScan that works under XP. I have it running. The
software is not enlightening, though.

One suggestion if I may: Do not, under no circumstance, use the scanner
using USB. Naming the USB interface buggy is a bit of an understatement.
Get yourself a good SCSI card (see Ben for recommendation), a good
Fast-SCSI-II cable with 50pin SUB-HD-connectors at both ends and you're
set.

"Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."