HP 5 Si Mx Memory Fault problem

My LJ5 Si Mx seems to have lost its memory! It says Ive printer
NO pages!! Its a 96 vintage printer, and was 8mb ram, 1mb rom,
(which it still shows) simm slots 1 and 2 are empty??

what happened to my page count? How could this have happened?
Did the ram get pulled and machine unplugged?> bad ram?

That should read; It says I've printed ...
......(sorry about the typo!)

frames wrote:
> My LJ5 Si Mx seems to have lost its memory! It says Ive printer
> NO pages!! Its a 96 vintage printer, and was 8mb ram, 1mb rom,
> (which it still shows) simm slots 1 and 2 are empty??
>
> what happened to my page count? How could this have happened?
> Did the ram get pulled and machine unplugged?> bad ram?

Press the System Configuration keys? That is.. unfortunately, a
possibility...

What did we do? or rather... What actions did we take so we know to
AVOID
those actions! I dont see anything in the manual about things not to
do
other than mount the printer on the ceiling and try to service it with
a garden hose...

Christian Dürrhauer wrote:
> On the seventh day, frames wrote...
>
> > My LJ5 Si Mx seems to have lost its memory! It says Ive printer
> > NO pages!! Its a 96 vintage printer, and was 8mb ram, 1mb rom,
> > (which it still shows) simm slots 1 and 2 are empty??
> >
> > what happened to my page count? How could this have happened?
> > Did the ram get pulled and machine unplugged?> bad ram?
>
> the page count does not disappear when you unplug the memory. did you
(or
> someone else, by accident perhaps?) press the system configuration
menue
> keys?
>
> other than that i can think only of a bad formatter board. this can
happen.
> as long as it prints, take it.
>
> --
> mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
> Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
>
> "Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

There is a poorly documented procedure to reset the page count on LJs.

Amount of installed memory does not have an effect on the page count.

If I recall correctly (a challenge any more), the LJ5si uses 72-pin SIMMs. It
may be new enough to accept EDO memory, unlike some older models which accept
only high quality fast page mode memory. The printer does not need "special" HP
branded memory, because there is nothing special about it except HP's sticker
and high price. Doubt you could get memory from HP for this priner these days.

.... Ben Myers

On 16 Dec 2004 20:31:14 -0800, "frames" <frameblder@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My LJ5 Si Mx seems to have lost its memory! It says Ive printer
>NO pages!! Its a 96 vintage printer, and was 8mb ram, 1mb rom,
>(which it still shows) simm slots 1 and 2 are empty??
>
>what happened to my page count? How could this have happened?
>Did the ram get pulled and machine unplugged?> bad ram?

On the seventh day, frames wrote...

> My LJ5 Si Mx seems to have lost its memory! It says Ive printer
> NO pages!! Its a 96 vintage printer, and was 8mb ram, 1mb rom,
> (which it still shows) simm slots 1 and 2 are empty??
>
> what happened to my page count? How could this have happened?
> Did the ram get pulled and machine unplugged?> bad ram?

the page count does not disappear when you unplug the memory. did you (or
someone else, by accident perhaps?) press the system configuration menue
keys?

other than that i can think only of a bad formatter board. this can happen.
as long as it prints, take it.

"Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

I seem to recall from the deep dark past that simultaneously pressing a
combination of function keys on the front panel would reset the page count.
When I googled for LaserJet "reset page count", I turned up this PDF which
explains it.

http://www.partsnow.com/service_today/ST1000.pdf

As long as the printer still prints, the page count is no big deal. If you do
regular printer maintenance based on page count, you'll now need to keep your
own log book of page counts. If you resell the printer with a reset page count,
it would be much like selling a car with the odometer turned back, although I
doubt you would get a lot of money for the printer if you sold it... Ben Myers

On 17 Dec 2004 09:52:20 -0800, "frames" <frameblder@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Press the System Configuration keys? That is.. unfortunately, a
>possibility...
>
>What did we do? or rather... What actions did we take so we know to
>AVOID
>those actions! I dont see anything in the manual about things not to
>do
>other than mount the printer on the ceiling and try to service it with
>a garden hose...
>

>Christian D=FCrrhauer wrote:
>> On the seventh day, frames wrote...
>>
>> > My LJ5 Si Mx seems to have lost its memory! It says Ive printer
>> > NO pages!! Its a 96 vintage printer, and was 8mb ram, 1mb rom,
>> > (which it still shows) simm slots 1 and 2 are empty??
>> >
>> > what happened to my page count? How could this have happened?
>> > Did the ram get pulled and machine unplugged?> bad ram?
>>
>> the page count does not disappear when you unplug the memory. did you
>(or
>> someone else, by accident perhaps?) press the system configuration
>menue
>> keys?
>>
>> other than that i can think only of a bad formatter board. this can
>happen.
>> as long as it prints, take it.
>>
>> --
>> mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen/with kind regards
>> Christian D=FCrrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
>>=20
>> "Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

On the seventh day, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote...

> If I recall correctly (a challenge any more), the LJ5si uses 72-pin SIMMs. It
> may be new enough to accept EDO memory, unlike some older models which accept
> only high quality fast page mode memory.

It takes 72pin PS/2 SIMMs Fast page mode meory only. No EDO.

> The printer does not need "special" HP
> branded memory, because there is nothing special about it except HP's sticker
> and high price.

It has to be 70ns and it has to be non-parity. All memory modules I've ever
seen to work in the 5Si and also in the Laserjet 4 happen to have a "whole"
in the middle. It looks as if a memory chip is missing.

> Doubt you could get memory from HP for this priner these days.

Rarely avaiable, ACK.

"Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

Yes, 70ns or faster. I've also installed FPM parity 72-pin SIMMs in LJ4 and LJ5
printers. No problem with the parity bit. It is ignored by the LaserJet. Some
of the later models accept 72-pin EDO, according to my magic LaserJet decoder
book.

No matter what size and type of memory is installed in a Laserjet, the memory
must adhere strictly to industry JEDEC standards. Some of the cheap memory out
there does not, and a LaserJet will balk with a memory error if the cheap stuff
is installed... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:54:39 +0100, Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=
<cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

>On the seventh day, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote...
>
>> If I recall correctly (a challenge any more), the LJ5si uses 72-pin SIMMs. It
>> may be new enough to accept EDO memory, unlike some older models which accept
>> only high quality fast page mode memory.
>
>It takes 72pin PS/2 SIMMs Fast page mode meory only. No EDO.
>
>> The printer does not need "special" HP
>> branded memory, because there is nothing special about it except HP's sticker
>> and high price.
>
>It has to be 70ns and it has to be non-parity. All memory modules I've ever
>seen to work in the 5Si and also in the Laserjet 4 happen to have a "whole"
>in the middle. It looks as if a memory chip is missing.
>
>> Doubt you could get memory from HP for this priner these days.
>
>Rarely avaiable, ACK.
>
>--
>mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
>Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
>
>"Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

On the seventh day, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote...

> Yes, 70ns or faster. I've also installed FPM parity 72-pin SIMMs in LJ4 and LJ5
> printers. No problem with the parity bit. It is ignored by the LaserJet. Some
> of the later models accept 72-pin EDO, according to my magic LaserJet decoder
> book.

Mine does not accept EDO or 60ns RAM.

> No matter what size and type of memory is installed in a Laserjet, the memory
> must adhere strictly to industry JEDEC standards. Some of the cheap memory out
> there does not, and a LaserJet will balk with a memory error if the cheap stuff
> is installed... Ben Myers

Full ACK.

"Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

TRENDING THREADS