Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Solved] High pitched noise from CPU...

Last response: in Windows 7
November 7, 2012 1:27:41 AM

Okie dokie... there's a high pitched noise that starts soon after Windows starts up.

I run 64 bit Win 7 on an HP Pavillion dv6.

I went into regedit to get "Processor idle disable" to appear in the power options. When I set it to "disable idle" the noise stops almost instantly. BUT, my computer then slows down to gut-wrenching slow crawl. It takes forever to just type text.

What's really frustrating is... I've fixed this problem before. I had to get a new hard drive so I'm starting from scratch - and I've forgotten the solution. I'm pretty sure I downloaded a new BIOS that gave me an options to set CPU "idle state" to off or something. I've tried downloading new HP BIOS updates but they don't give me any new solutions.

I've also tried increasing "minimum processor state" % but that hasn't helped.

Any idea where I might have gotten this BIOS? Or is there another solution? Thanks. :) 

EDIT!: Forgot to say - my PC has Intel core 7, and I'm pretty sure the BIOS options I'm talking about was unique to Intel processors.

Best solution

a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 2:07:24 AM

A high pitched noise would be coming from the fan on the cpu heatsink , so if that's the case you can replace the fan or clean it and give it a good cleaning at that and maybe a drop of lubricant if you can do that without getting it all over, but the best option would be to just replace the fan , it's not expensive to do.
November 7, 2012 1:23:19 PM

Hmmm, alrighty thanks, I'll try that out.

Why would the sound be so specific to whether or not "processor idle" is disabled or not?
m
l
Related resources
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 2:02:43 PM

Because the cpu fan is controlled by the motherboard and will speed up or slow down depending on what the cpu is doing. If the cpu is at idle then the fan slows down if the cpu is under load then the fan speeds up.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 2:19:45 PM

I have heard a lot of 4 pin fans squeal like this. If you switch it to a 3 pin fan it will take out the PWM function and the sound goes away.
m
l
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 2:29:19 PM

I would not switch to a three pin fan on the cpu heatsink , the four pin header for the cpu fan is there for a reason.
By getting a new fan the noise will also go away.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 2:30:48 PM

inzone said:
I would not switch to a three pin fan on the cpu heatsink , the four pin header for the cpu fan is there for a reason.
By getting a new fan the noise will also go away.

I don't think it will. It has to do with the PWM function and how it slows the fans down. Running at full speed you don't hear the sound because of the function not being needed.

You can run a 3 pin fan there perfectly fine, I have 5 computers in my house running on 3 pin fans for the CPU just fine. The motherboard is actually designed to work with them as well as 4 pin fans.
m
l
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 2:53:25 PM

I would be up to sirnameless as to whether or not he wants to get a 3 pin or 4 pin fan or just clean out what is there.
m
l
November 12, 2012 4:35:18 PM

Thanks guys, turns out it was the heatsink/fan area - cleaning it out helped a lot, and the next step will be to replace the heatsink and fan. As for 3 or 4 pin, since I'm still under warranty, I'll see what HP can offer me.

Thanks again.
m
l
November 19, 2012 12:22:47 AM

Best answer selected by sirnameless.
m
l
!