Should NTBackup be backing up my Ntuser.dat file when.

August 26, 2005 12:36:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,
I was wondering if by default NTbackup was including the Ntuser.dat file when I
select, backup up System State only. The reason I'm asking is that I performed
such a backup and restored the files to another drive and all the system files
were backed up but NOT my Ntuser.dat file located in the Document and Settings
folder.
It seems to me that this file would be crucial to "my system state". Have I
neglected an option or setting somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Ms
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:40:39 AM

Ô¿Ô Mws wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if by default NTbackup was including the Ntuser.dat
> file when I select, backup up System State only. The reason I'm
> asking is that I performed such a backup and restored the files to
> another drive and all the system files were backed up but NOT my
> Ntuser.dat file located in the Document and Settings folder.
> It seems to me that this file would be crucial to "my system state".
> Have I neglected an option or setting somewhere?
>
> Thanks for any help.

You cannot backup that file while you are logged on.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Another reason why imaging programs are so useful (sector by sector imaging)
instead of file copying.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

> Ô¿Ô Mws wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I was wondering if by default NTbackup was including the Ntuser.dat
>> file when I select, backup up System State only. The reason I'm
>> asking is that I performed such a backup and restored the files to
>> another drive and all the system files were backed up but NOT my
>> Ntuser.dat file located in the Document and Settings folder.
>> It seems to me that this file would be crucial to "my system state".
>> Have I neglected an option or setting somewhere?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
> You cannot backup that file while you are logged on.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

August 26, 2005 2:00:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ô¿Ô Mws,

NTBackup in XP doesn't backup the user registry
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4500/rh4595.htm

You may use ERUNT in tandem.

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Ô¿Ô Mws" <Mws@SpamCop.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I was wondering if by default NTbackup was including the Ntuser.dat file
> when I select, backup up System State only. The reason I'm asking is that
> I performed such a backup and restored the files to another drive and all
> the system files were backed up but NOT my Ntuser.dat file located in the
> Document and Settings folder.
> It seems to me that this file would be crucial to "my system state". Have
> I neglected an option or setting somewhere?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Ms
August 26, 2005 6:22:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

User profile (and user hive) is not a part of System State.
See
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

To backup User Profile (including ntuser.dat) select profile you want to
backup.
NTbackup CAN backup ntuser.dat while you logon.

"Ô¿Ô Mws" <Mws@SpamCop.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I was wondering if by default NTbackup was including the Ntuser.dat file
> when I select, backup up System State only. The reason I'm asking is that
> I performed such a backup and restored the files to another drive and all
> the system files were backed up but NOT my Ntuser.dat file located in the
> Document and Settings folder.
> It seems to me that this file would be crucial to "my system state". Have
> I neglected an option or setting somewhere?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Ms
August 26, 2005 6:31:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

sorry, wrong link, see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
this one instead
"Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o NlxQXfqFHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> User profile (and user hive) is not a part of System State.
> See
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
>
> To backup User Profile (including ntuser.dat) select profile you want to
> backup.
> NTbackup CAN backup ntuser.dat while you logon.
>
> "Ô¿Ô Mws" <Mws@SpamCop.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I was wondering if by default NTbackup was including the Ntuser.dat file
>> when I select, backup up System State only. The reason I'm asking is that
>> I performed such a backup and restored the files to another drive and all
>> the system files were backed up but NOT my Ntuser.dat file located in
>> the Document and Settings folder.
>> It seems to me that this file would be crucial to "my system state". Have
>> I neglected an option or setting somewhere?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Ms

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:58:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks to all who responded.

Mws

!