Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Question For WaterCooling

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Water Cooling
Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2003 4:20:21 PM

I was wondering if anybody knows if i could use car coolant instead of the solution that comes with my kit. Since car coolant is designed to take massive amounts of heat away from a car engine, maybe i can get better cooling for my cpu off it.

Please, no replies saying anything along the lines of suggesting for me to just stick with the solution that comes with my kit. Thanks in Advance!!

More about : question watercooling

August 20, 2003 6:19:08 PM

The advantage for the anti-freeze is just that it does not freeze, Water is just as good. Their is no reason for you to put that in your water cooler, but you do want some anti-rust stuff to make sure that it will not destroy any of the the metal tubes.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:
August 20, 2003 8:10:59 PM

Actually as I understand it, water is better at transferring heat than an antifreeze solution. As you pointed out the only reason that the antifreeze solution is used in a car is because it remains a liquid at more extreme temps than water does.

Oh sure, someone <i>could</i> use antifreeze in their watercooler. Heck, they could even use milk, seawater, rubbing alcohol, wine, blood, urine, faerie essense, or whatever. The real question is why...

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 20, 2003 8:46:40 PM

I think generaly car coolant has several functions. It contains antifreeze, a rust inhibitor and also raises the boiling point to help prevent the radiator turning into a kettle in the summer.

I can't see what harm it would do though really. Anyway, no doubt some of the stuff you pay a premium for is car coolant anyway.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>
August 20, 2003 9:00:11 PM

Actually most of the anti-freeze out there is much more viscous than water and could cause extra strain on your pump. Which in turn could cause your pump to become less silent and less efficient; thusly, restricting you flow rate and causing your temps to rise. I stick to corrosion inhibitors and anti-growth agents only.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...