Sign in with
Your question

Computer speakers hooked up to tv

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 1, 2012 5:14:26 AM

Hello,

I have a self powered surround sound system that I got about 6 years ago with my dell computer. The dell has since died but the speakers are still working great. Can I hook them up to my Sony bravia Lcd hd Tv without messing up the Tv? Not looking for surround sound, just a way to have a better and louder sound than my Tv can offer.

The subwofer has a plug and then all other speakers hook into it. From the subwoofer there is an input line that I guess I could just plug into the Tv.

Will this work? Sorry if I don't know technical terms I can barely turn the Tv on.

Thanks
April 2, 2012 12:16:44 AM

Most TV's have an optical audio out. At least the Samsungs do. Depends what kind of wires you need to hook up and what kind of speakers they are. I am thinking HDMI is 5.1 audio or higher. Some sound receivers also can use HDMI. Sometimes you might get some lag depending on how you hook up the audio.
m
l
a b x TV
April 2, 2012 1:18:43 PM

pc speakers normally use 3.5mm cables. home theater uses bannaca clips, speaker wire and a seperate subwoofer cable.

some tvs have a headphone out port. you could probably connect the 3.5mm up to this and get 2.1 sound out of your system but without some extra hardware i think this is the best you will do.
m
l
Related resources
!