How much does have cost to make a CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unseen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
I could guess intel and AMD are selling thier CPU alot higher than what it actually cost to make then. (However if you count developing costs, guess AMD is possibly selling it for less the cost of making them since they always lose money) Some of the AMD chips sell at $50, that after the retailer gets thier cut, so I would think it costs AMD about $25 for making thier CPU. Anyhow know for SURE how much it costs Intel/AMD to make their current/upcoming cpu? It would be interesting to find out.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I'm going to bump this because I was wondering the same thing, and was going to post a similar thread, but seeing as this one never got an answer...

Bump!

thhm

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
i would also want to know. while we cant place a price on the research, engineering and overall creativity placed on producing such chips, we can quantify the actual electricity materials ,etc, involved... so, any answer to this? it just irks me somehow to not know why we cant just put i7's on all computers if they basically contain the same elements...

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
When they first start the research in devloping the new cores, the price can get up to billions of dollars before people hears about it. The time it comes into beta testing, then into stores people won't be able to afford a new computer if they wanted to brake even. When processors first comes out its more expensive then when they have been around for awhile. The reason is that they need to make money on their products to try and get over what they have spent on the processor itselft. They don't make even till certin amount of chips and processors sells. For example to make my first cpu before selling to the public cost me 1 billion dollars. I would need too sell 200 million cpus at $500 each before I make any profit off them.

Status
Not open for further replies.