Posting Question

Scott

Hi,

I was trying to post a reply to a thread I have been following in the alt.html

newsgroup, but I got this message instead:

"Posting failed (rejected by Post filter)"

That's a new one on me. Anyone know what this means?

Thanks!
Scott

That's a question you'll have to ask the administrator of your nntp (usenet)
server.

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to post a reply to a thread I have been following in the
alt.html

> newsgroup, but I got this message instead:
>
> "Posting failed (rejected by Post filter)"
>
> That's a new one on me. Anyone know what this means?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

Ed,

How do I go about contacting the server administrator? Is it through
someone on the newsgroup, or my ISP (Charter)?

Scott

"Edward J. Neth" wrote:

> That's a question you'll have to ask the administrator of your nntp (usenet)
> server.
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was trying to post a reply to a thread I have been following in the
> alt.html
> >
> > newsgroup, but I got this message instead:
> >
> > "Posting failed (rejected by Post filter)"
> >
> > That's a new one on me. Anyone know what this means?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

Scott,

I've been on Charter for several years, and Charter recently changed newsgroup
servers. The result has been a pain in the backside. Often, when posting, my
message gets rejected. I try again, and it works. Same with reading the text
or message headings.

My advice is to call Charter tech support and complain. Also explain the
problem you are having which may be unique. Ask them when they intend to fix
the Charter news server.

This sort of nonsense has been going on for several weeks... Ben Myers

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:25:20 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was trying to post a reply to a thread I have been following in the alt.html
>
>newsgroup, but I got this message instead:
>
> "Posting failed (rejected by Post filter)"
>
>That's a new one on me. Anyone know what this means?
>
>Thanks!
>Scott

Scott

Ben,

I hear you. Charter told me they switched to the nntp news server
(thru a third-party company) to improve their newsgroup service. I
never used to have problems, until now. After a few days, I couldn't
download newgroups at all (it said "too many connections"). They said
they were having issues, and finally fixed it. Four days later, all
new messages after the previous Friday at 2:44 pm showed the message
title, but when I clicked on it, it would always say the message had
expired and was no longer on the server. It took them 3 days to fix
that. They suspected that IP addresses from my area were somehow
being excluded.

Anyway, it's working now, except for the filter reject message on
alt.html. All other newsgroups take my posts just fine. Go figure.

Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> Scott,
>
> I've been on Charter for several years, and Charter recently changed newsgroup
> servers. The result has been a pain in the backside. Often, when posting, my
> message gets rejected. I try again, and it works. Same with reading the text
> or message headings.
>
> My advice is to call Charter tech support and complain. Also explain the
> problem you are having which may be unique. Ask them when they intend to fix
> the Charter news server.
>
> This sort of nonsense has been going on for several weeks... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:25:20 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

Scott

Ben,

I checked with Charter, and they didn't seem to know why
my message is being filtered (see message below). The
only thing I could think of is that the person's post who
I'm replying to used the word "evils".

Might there be some way to post a question to the moderator
of alt.html?

Thanks!
Scott

Message being filtered (and stopped):
dan@tobias.name wrote:

> (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> > Maybe I'm the only one, but forced with a choice between the evils of
> top
> > posting and quoting *everything*, I'll take top posting every time.
>
> These tend to go together; top-posters usually are also
> fullquoters, including ever-lengthening tails of trailing garbage
> beneath their writing.
> Some more discussion:
> http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/
>
> --
> Dan

Dan,

Well, I can understand that. But, you know, whenever a group of people
get together for a face-to-face conversation, everyone will not follow the
same rules. Some people know how to listen, others don't, some people
interrupt, etc. It's not a perfect world.

In my experience, perfectionsists are very unhappy people, because they
find they cannot control everything to the nth degree.

Sometimes it's better to put up with people's idiosyncrosies....and even
learn to appreciate their differences. Why should we all be clones of each
other?

Scott

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:20:27 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>I checked with Charter, and they didn't seem to know why
>my message is being filtered (see message below). The
>only thing I could think of is that the person's post who
>I'm replying to used the word "evils".
>
>Might there be some way to post a question to the moderator
>of alt.html?

Usenet is unmoderated. There is no moderator of alt.html.

Albert Alcoceba
<><
alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
Remove REMOVE

Right. So some other probably automated filtering mechanism is getting in the
way. Charter is still the most likely possibility, and I'm sure that the
Charter techs have not absorbed all the nuances and idiosyncracies of the
Charter news server. Have you spoken with someone in Charter's second level
tech support? If not, call again, and make a specific request to do so. Second
level support people are much closer to the action... Ben Myers

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:31:44 +1100, Albert Alcoceba <alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au>
wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:20:27 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
>>I checked with Charter, and they didn't seem to know why
>>my message is being filtered (see message below). The
>>only thing I could think of is that the person's post who
>>I'm replying to used the word "evils".
>>
>>Might there be some way to post a question to the moderator
>>of alt.html?
>
>Usenet is unmoderated. There is no moderator of alt.html.
>

>Albert Alcoceba
> <><
>alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
>http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
>Remove REMOVE

Scott

Ben,

Charter said they would refer the matter to their escalation team.
I'll check back with them in a few days.

Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> Right. So some other probably automated filtering mechanism is getting in the
> way. Charter is still the most likely possibility, and I'm sure that the
> Charter techs have not absorbed all the nuances and idiosyncracies of the
> Charter news server. Have you spoken with someone in Charter's second level
> tech support? If not, call again, and make a specific request to do so. Second
> level support people are much closer to the action... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:31:44 +1100, Albert Alcoceba <alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:20:27 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
> >
> >>I checked with Charter, and they didn't seem to know why
> >>my message is being filtered (see message below). The
> >>only thing I could think of is that the person's post who
> >>I'm replying to used the word "evils".
> >>
> >>Might there be some way to post a question to the moderator
> >>of alt.html?
> >
> >Usenet is unmoderated. There is no moderator of alt.html.
> >

> >Albert Alcoceba
> > <><
> >alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
> >http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
> >Remove REMOVE

Scott

Ben,

I think I've narrowed it down. The only time the I get the
filtering error is when trying to reply to one specific thread
(see below). When I post my same reply to any other poster in
the thread, it goes thru. Go figure.

Scott
-----
Re: Multiple Pop-up Windows