My computer display keeps freezing

jaffar_fg

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hi there, My Computer display keeps freezing up after 10 or 15 mins I turn my PC on. The following is my hardware specs:

ASUS M5A88-V EVO
AMD FX6100
XFX ATI 4670 1GB
8 GB DDR3 (Corsair and Transcend - 4x2) 1333MHZ
2 TB Seagate HDD
500 GB WD HDD
Zebronics 800W power supply
LG D2342P 23" LED Display running on Dual Link DVI

I tried switching RAMs to isolate the problem but no go.
I tried disconnecting the hard drives and booted from a USB stick and still the same.
Removed my Graphics Card and it did make difference. The screen went blank instead of freezing up. My onboard GPU is ATI 4250.
I took my Mobo to the ASUS service center and the cleared that there's no issues.
There are no thermal events as well.

Desperately looking for an answer. Thank you!

jaffar_fg

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks for quick response dodger46. I forgot to mention that both the display and the cable are brand new. It's been just a month since I bought them. The only thing that is old is my graphics card. Do you think the ATI 4250 onboard support HD DVI out?

If it supports HDMI @ 1080P then I think you can safely assume DVI too!
484b571d6b00486fbe5226d.png

jaffar_fg

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I did try only iGPU with my Graphics Card removed. That's when my screen went blank instead of freezing up. It starts to scare me now.. I'm now doubting if those guys properly diagnosed my Mobo. I can buy a new Graphics Card if its really the root cause. I don't want it to be a wasted effort.. :-(

if it not a heat issue..run open hardware monitor and see that the cpu and gpu are ok. then it a power issue. as you have a no named power supply it may be failing under load or having a lot of ripple. if you have a friend that has a spare i would swap the ps out and see if anything changes.

jaffar_fg

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks Smorizio! I could try changing the Power Supply. I'm from India. Zebronics is a brand available here. And, By mentioning "Hardware Monitor", are you talking about the one that is there in BIOS or do you want me to use any third party app?

jaffar_fg

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Dodger46.. That is cool.. I will run it and if possible, post the results.. :) It runs long enough for that i guess.. Forgot to mention that it runs longer in safe mode...

jaffar_fg

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks for the reference Dodger46.. I will post you the results soon.. Thanks Kiowa789... I'm actually planning to buy one.. Is Zotac Geforce GT 230 good? I need 3D and HD support.. I'm basically a IT Consultant and Sound Designer(wearing two shoes) :p

jaffar_fg

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
@dodger46, I tried making the IGPU as the primary output in BIOS and at the same time had my Graphics Card removed. The screen goes blank after sometime while on IGPU. I highly doubt if its capable of giving 1920x1080 in 60 Hz through Dual DVI-D.

jaffar_fg

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
@dodger46: Nice to finally hear that its the graphics card and nothing else.. :) I was worried if I would have to send the PSU for service.. I bought it just a month ago and it costed me like 80 USD which is very expensive for us... I will go with GT545 if that wins the comparison with GT630 :)

jaffar_fg

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hi dodger46, Its not staying long enough to get the stats from speccy. Its staying in Safe mode but Speccy give an error "SPC Initialization failed" or something like that... GT545 is not available in my region.. Do you suggest any other alternatives?

Can you run successfully in Normal using your iGPU on a lower resolution? Should be able to...

Not sure about the HD 4830, but the rest definitely list HD3D support...

Woah! That's a beast! At least 3 times as good as your old one, I'm sure it will perform well....