Are Voodoo 3dfx video and SB16 sound clone cards incompati..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am running XP SP2 with a PCI Voodoo 3 2000 16MB graphics card, and whatever
SB ESS1380 card I use with it, the sound is non-existent, and nothing plays,
although the system says that the sound card is "working properly". For
example, if I preview a sound for an event in the sounds applet in Control
Panel, the preview button changes from a play icon to a stop icon, but the
sound does not play, and the button never reverts to the play icon. Any clues?
--
Mark Jacobs
http://www.dkcomputing.co.uk

    Mark Jacobs wrote:

    > I am running XP SP2 with a PCI Voodoo 3 2000 16MB graphics card, and
    > whatever SB ESS1380 card I use with it, the sound is non-existent, and
    > nothing plays, although the system says that the sound card is
    > "working properly". For example, if I preview a sound for an event in
    > the sounds applet in Control Panel, the preview button changes from a
    > play icon to a stop icon, but the sound does not play, and the button
    > never reverts to the play icon. Any clues?

    I thought XP was incompatible with Voodoo video cards. That card is
    really, really old and the soundcard may be old, too. I'm not against
    old technology (I collect manual typewriters!), but you might consider
    just buying a new PCI video card if your machine doesn't have an AGP
    slot. I bought a generic PCI video card the other day and I think it
    was around $25-30.

    You might also want to look around for some Voodoo 3 user forums.

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    VooDoo cards were discontinued long ago.... any drivers that are available
    are at www.voodoofiles.com. Soundblaster card drivers are at
    www.soundblaster.com. Again it's a very old card.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Mark Jacobs" <http://www.jacobsm.com/mjmsg.htm?mj@critical> wrote in
    message news:OwkTr%23iqFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >I am running XP SP2 with a PCI Voodoo 3 2000 16MB graphics card, and
    >whatever SB ESS1380 card I use with it, the sound is non-existent, and
    >nothing plays, although the system says that the sound card is "working
    >properly". For example, if I preview a sound for an event in the sounds
    >applet in Control Panel, the preview button changes from a play icon to a
    >stop icon, but the sound does not play, and the button never reverts to the
    >play icon. Any clues?
    > --
    > Mark Jacobs
    > http://www.dkcomputing.co.uk

    My son still claims his Voodoo card was the best he ever owned.

    While there aren't new drivers, there is a 3dfx site dedicated for
    owners of the cards. You might find some helpful information on
    it. Otherwise Malke is right, new cards can be bought very cheaply.
    Just the other day, I picked up an AGP nVidia 5500 with 256 Meg
    of VRAM for $49.
    http://www.voodoofiles.com/

    > Mark Jacobs wrote:
    >
    >> I am running XP SP2 with a PCI Voodoo 3 2000 16MB graphics card, and
    >> whatever SB ESS1380 card I use with it, the sound is non-existent, and
    >> nothing plays, although the system says that the sound card is
    >> "working properly". For example, if I preview a sound for an event in
    >> the sounds applet in Control Panel, the preview button changes from a
    >> play icon to a stop icon, but the sound does not play, and the button
    >> never reverts to the play icon. Any clues?
    >
    > I thought XP was incompatible with Voodoo video cards. That card is
    > really, really old and the soundcard may be old, too. I'm not against
    > old technology (I collect manual typewriters!), but you might consider
    > just buying a new PCI video card if your machine doesn't have an AGP
    > slot. I bought a generic PCI video card the other day and I think it
    > was around $25-30.
    >
    > You might also want to look around for some Voodoo 3 user forums.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    There are no drivers for SB 16 sound cards, besides the ones that ship with
    XP.

    > VooDoo cards were discontinued long ago.... any drivers that are available
    > are at www.voodoofiles.com. Soundblaster card drivers are at
    > www.soundblaster.com. Again it's a very old card.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Mark Jacobs" <http://www.jacobsm.com/mjmsg.htm?mj@critical> wrote in
    > message news:OwkTr%23iqFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >>I am running XP SP2 with a PCI Voodoo 3 2000 16MB graphics card, and
    >>whatever SB ESS1380 card I use with it, the sound is non-existent, and
    >>nothing plays, although the system says that the sound card is "working
    >>properly". For example, if I preview a sound for an event in the sounds
    >>applet in Control Panel, the preview button changes from a play icon to a
    >>stop icon, but the sound does not play, and the button never reverts to
    >>the play icon. Any clues?
    >> --
    >> Mark Jacobs
    >> http://www.dkcomputing.co.uk

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Mark Jacobs wrote:
    > I am running XP SP2 with a PCI Voodoo 3 2000 16MB graphics card, and
    > whatever SB ESS1380 card I use with it, the sound is non-existent, and
    > nothing plays, although the system says that the sound card is "working
    > properly". For example, if I preview a sound for an event in the sounds
    > applet in Control Panel, the preview button changes from a play icon to
    > a stop icon, but the sound does not play, and the button never reverts
    > to the play icon. Any clues?

    Thanks for all your replies. I suspect in my case, that it's the cheap
    motherboard, that is optimised for AGP cards, and has great difficulty running
    PCI ones. Thanks again. I'll try and get a cheapish AGP card, but it needs to
    run Quake 3 Arena at a reasonable resolution and frame rate. Any recommendations?

    --
    Mark Jacobs
    http://www.dkcomputing.co.uk

    Mark Jacobs wrote:
    > I am running XP SP2 with a PCI Voodoo 3 2000 16MB graphics card, and
    > whatever SB ESS1380 card I use with it, the sound is non-existent, and
    > nothing plays, although the system says that the sound card is "working
    > properly". For example, if I preview a sound for an event in the sounds
    > applet in Control Panel, the preview button changes from a play icon to
    > a stop icon, but the sound does not play, and the button never reverts
    > to the play icon. Any clues?

    Thanks for your help everyone. I think the cheap AGP card solution is the best
    - 256MB for $49 - wow! Thanks again.

    --
    Mark Jacobs
    http://www.dkcomputing.co.uk