Help with new comp...

G

I want to change my old pIII 1 ghz for something new...

I got all figured out but I still need to choose a CPU

P4 or A64 ??? I don't like the current Athlons and I don't want to wait for Prescott.

I hope you can help me make a choice....

endyen

Splendid
<font color=red> well the current athlons dont like you much either <font color=red>
The A64s are just athlons with a little SSE2. Go with one of the P4c units. Amd is not likely to do any better for you.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
P4 or A64 ??? I don't like the current Athlons and I don't want to wait for Prescott.
I might kick myself for this, but I have to ask: What (in your opinion) is wrong with the current Athlons that the Athlon64s would fix?

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>

G

Well, see , as my name states , i'm not as good with this hardware stuff has many of you are .... SO ill post what I think I'll buy and you can start judging it :p

I would also like to know more about overclocking, must I go to that forum to get help?

Anyway, here it goes...

p4 , 2,8 ghz or 3ghz
2x 512 mb pc-3200 400 mhz DDR
80 g HD @ 7200 rpm ( maxtor or western digital ? )
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A
Any ASUS mobo that would take full advantage of my CPU....

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It sounds like a good system to me. (It's actually really close to my home system except that I got the 2.6GHz to both save a little cash and in case I want to try OCing it later.)

We could help you tailor that hardware more if you could tell us just what you'd be doing with that system and if you have any unique requirements or not. (Unique requirements would be things such as high room temperatures to deal with, you want a very quiet PC, you live in a place where certain hardware is more difficult to get, etc.) Also a budget and such would help, as well if you have plans to upgrade later or not.

Information <i>is</i> ammunition...

<font color=blue>If you look <font color=purple>The Devil</font color=purple><font color=red>®</font color=red> straight in the eye and only see yourself then you must be standing in front of a mirror.</font color=blue>

G

Well that was also my question , I think i'll buy a 3ghz w/ fsb 800, and i would like to know if it would be possible to OC it at 3,2 with a good case and a good mobo??? Can some1 explain to me how OC works?

I want a system for gaming :p