XP HE user

August 26, 2005 11:06:07 AM

To help out an acquaintance, setup a PC as follows in an XP HE environment.
Default administrator - owner
User1
User2
User3
User4
Myself - emergency administrator

User1 through 3 have typical user rights.
User 4 is further limited by not having access to CD.
Second partition (FAT32) is set aside for adminstrator and user personal
files. Each have their own folder. An image backup is on the root of this
partittion. I went through the procedure carefully while the owner of the
PC sat next to me. I explained all, especially user rights and admin rights
along the way. And made clear that the owner is responsible for installing
and removing software.

Received an irate phone call from the PC owner saying that was unable to
install MS Office XP on their PC. The owner was on their cell phone calling
from a different location. Went to owner's home, and found user4 on the PC.
Inquired with user4 about the install problem. User4 indicated the PC owner
asked user4 to install Office But was unable to. Found the PC was in XP
logged in by user4. CDs were naturally invisible. Unable to locate Office
product key on owner's cluttered desk. Returned home and left message on
owner's cell about lack of product key. An hour later, the owner called
insisting the product key was on the CD on the backside. (Yep, that through
me for a loop too.) Went back to the owner's home, and searched. Found a
CD ***sleeve*** behind the desk for Office with product key on the back.
Logged in as emergency admin, and installed Office XP. Before leaving, I
told user4 who lives there, to relay to the PC owner they had to register
Office XP online as soon as possible.

Later that day an acquaintance called. During the conversation I mentioned
the PC owner called me numerous times today regadinging installing software
on the PC. The acquaintance related that I had put some kind of code on the
PC that keeps everyone from installing software per the PC owner, so the PC
owner said the software would not install.

Well, no how do you do, a thank you, an acknowledgment, or question received
from owner to date. I would like to remove myself from the logon but have
administrator rights, and just leave it all to the owner. Don't know the
owner's password. How do I remove my logon?

More about : user

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:27:36 PM

cmd window
net user [yourloginname] /EXPIRES:9/01/05

> To help out an acquaintance, setup a PC as follows in an XP HE
> environment.
> Default administrator - owner
> User1
> User2
> User3
> User4
> Myself - emergency administrator
>
> User1 through 3 have typical user rights.
> User 4 is further limited by not having access to CD.
> Second partition (FAT32) is set aside for adminstrator and user personal
> files. Each have their own folder. An image backup is on the root of
> this
> partittion. I went through the procedure carefully while the owner of the
> PC sat next to me. I explained all, especially user rights and admin
> rights
> along the way. And made clear that the owner is responsible for
> installing
> and removing software.
>
> Received an irate phone call from the PC owner saying that was unable to
> install MS Office XP on their PC. The owner was on their cell phone
> calling
> from a different location. Went to owner's home, and found user4 on the
> PC.
> Inquired with user4 about the install problem. User4 indicated the PC
> owner
> asked user4 to install Office But was unable to. Found the PC was in XP
> logged in by user4. CDs were naturally invisible. Unable to locate
> Office
> product key on owner's cluttered desk. Returned home and left message on
> owner's cell about lack of product key. An hour later, the owner called
> insisting the product key was on the CD on the backside. (Yep, that
> through
> me for a loop too.) Went back to the owner's home, and searched. Found a
> CD ***sleeve*** behind the desk for Office with product key on the back.
> Logged in as emergency admin, and installed Office XP. Before leaving, I
> told user4 who lives there, to relay to the PC owner they had to register
> Office XP online as soon as possible.
>
> Later that day an acquaintance called. During the conversation I
> mentioned
> the PC owner called me numerous times today regadinging installing
> software
> on the PC. The acquaintance related that I had put some kind of code on
> the
> PC that keeps everyone from installing software per the PC owner, so the
> PC
> owner said the software would not install.
>
> Well, no how do you do, a thank you, an acknowledgment, or question
> received
> from owner to date. I would like to remove myself from the logon but have
> administrator rights, and just leave it all to the owner. Don't know the
> owner's password. How do I remove my logon?

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:28:11 AM

Nevermind, found answer.

!