It actually worked! Thx pIII_Man!

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
---Compaq Athlon xp1500(just upgraded to xp2400), 512mb pc2100, gf4ti4200 64mb---

No matter how many times pIII_Man had to reiterate it to me, I still had a large amount of doubt. I had NEVER removed a heatsink/cpu let alone install one. Not to mention all the ppl who told me the 2400 WOULD NOT fit on my mobo. I talked to 3 Compaq reps who all said the same thing. That the mobo wouldn't be able to run at x15 multiplier. But thankfully for pIII, I stuck with my conviction(mostly his :tongue: ) and went ahead with the purchase.

And it payed off. Instead of running at 1325mhz I'm running at 1988mhz. And the increase in performance is noticeable. Especially in games.

My 3dmark2001 score went up from 8700 to 9547. I thought this was a tad low, but ppl have told me it's about right. The strange thing is that in 3dmark03, I actually scored LOWER than with the xp1500. Around 1313 as opposed to like 1350 with the older cpu. I found that strange.

I'm slowly but surely gutting my once great Compaq. I've now got a Fortron 400w psu and an xp2400. Next in line is a 9800np which I think should boost me to 14k at least. Or is that wishful thinking?

Rade3d forums eat ass. They were saying sh*t like, "Well I would listen to Compaq." Blah blah. No real reasoning behind there suggestions, especially considering how horrible tech support is for these large companies. I got no REAL help from any of their replies.

I got most of my help pm'ing pIII_Man. God bless his patient soul. :smile:

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
and those plp at compaq call themself "tech support". pffff...
most mobos which supports XP processor will support up to 2400+ or even the 266mhz fsb 2600+. the multiplier has nothing to do with it. its all about the bios and weather your mobo is able to supply the lower voltage for the tbreds. on legacy boards which runs KT266A chipsets, you'll run into multiplier remap functions, so 8x in bios is actualy remapped as 15x.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Thanks HB. I didn't forget your help either. :smile:

And 10GHZ, I wasn't aware of a 2600+ t-bred. Maybe shoulda looked into that, but no loss really.

I was told that the bios can't really regulate multipliers and/or limit them. I think I will just remain confused about this because I've heard too many conflicting arguments.

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The problem is that Athlons reused the same settings for more than one multiplier. Multipliers went up to 12.5x before they were recycled, I think the 6.5x and 13x multiplier is the same, but I'm not sure on the numbers. Anyway, you can see how this might cause a BIOS issue on older boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>