Aussie Pinhead seeking favour from Pinhead in USA/Canada

Hi Group

This may seem like an odd request however I think I have exhausted
contacting electronics shops I have found online, both via email and
calling.

I am a pinhead in Sydney Australia and looking to buy one of the
inexpensive desoldering irons that NTE and Radioshack sell. I am not a
high user for desoldering so I feel this is a better option that the
more expensive stations that can be purchased.

However, Radioshack don't ship overseas and all other shops I have
contacted only ship UPS which is US$55 to Australia which makes it
completely uneconomical to buy.

I am looking for a big favour from a fellow pinhead to purchase one of
the irons below and a few tips and ship it USPS or Canadian Mail to
Sydney, once I have sent through payment for the iron and shipping of
course.

If you can help, please send me an email.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I have included the part number etc below

Ric

Radioshack de-solder iron
Part no Cat # 64-2060 replacement tip
Part no Cat # 64-2062

NTE Desoldering iron
Part No J-045-DS
replacement tip
Part no JT-103

Hi Rick
This may not be what you're after, but I recently bought a desoldering pump
for about $10 at Bunnings.
Cheers
manny

"Ric" <riclewin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Group
>
> This may seem like an odd request however I think I have exhausted
> contacting electronics shops I have found online, both via email and
> calling.
>
> I am a pinhead in Sydney Australia and looking to buy one of the
> inexpensive desoldering irons that NTE and Radioshack sell. I am not a
> high user for desoldering so I feel this is a better option that the
> more expensive stations that can be purchased.
>
> However, Radioshack don't ship overseas and all other shops I have
> contacted only ship UPS which is US$55 to Australia which makes it
> completely uneconomical to buy.
>
> I am looking for a big favour from a fellow pinhead to purchase one of
> the irons below and a few tips and ship it USPS or Canadian Mail to
> Sydney, once I have sent through payment for the iron and shipping of
> course.
>
> If you can help, please send me an email.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> I have included the part number etc below
>
> Ric
>
> Radioshack de-solder iron
> Part no Cat # 64-2060 replacement tip
> Part no Cat # 64-2062
>
> NTE Desoldering iron
> Part No J-045-DS
> replacement tip
> Part no JT-103

Hey Ric

I just buy Goot Desolder Braid from Jaycar works great in the boards
using a 15W Wella Iron.

I have tried also using Desolder Pumps and Pen Tools and if they don't
work properly they can splatter solder all over the place which is bad when
working on IC's.

Have you ever tried Desolder Braid?

Kevin

"Ric" <riclewin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Group
>
> This may seem like an odd request however I think I have exhausted
> contacting electronics shops I have found online, both via email and
> calling.
>
> I am a pinhead in Sydney Australia and looking to buy one of the
> inexpensive desoldering irons that NTE and Radioshack sell. I am not a
> high user for desoldering so I feel this is a better option that the
> more expensive stations that can be purchased.
>
> However, Radioshack don't ship overseas and all other shops I have
> contacted only ship UPS which is US$55 to Australia which makes it
> completely uneconomical to buy.
>
> I am looking for a big favour from a fellow pinhead to purchase one of
> the irons below and a few tips and ship it USPS or Canadian Mail to
> Sydney, once I have sent through payment for the iron and shipping of
> course.
>
> If you can help, please send me an email.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> I have included the part number etc below
>
> Ric
>
> Radioshack de-solder iron
> Part no Cat # 64-2060 replacement tip
> Part no Cat # 64-2062
>
> NTE Desoldering iron
> Part No J-045-DS
> replacement tip
> Part no JT-103

I would agree with TheKorn - the soldapult (Radio Shack Item 64-2098)
works very good - however it's your money - If no one else will - I
would be willing to buy what you want and ship it - contact me via
e-mail and we can work out details.

"Ric" <riclewin@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1121589155.977033.214980
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I am looking for a big favour from a fellow pinhead to purchase one of
> the irons below and a few tips and ship it USPS or Canadian Mail to
> Sydney, once I have sent through payment for the iron and shipping of
> course.
>
> If you can help, please send me an email.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> I have included the part number etc below
>
> Ric
>
> Radioshack de-solder iron
> Part no Cat # 64-2060 replacement tip
> Part no Cat # 64-2062
>
> NTE Desoldering iron
> Part No J-045-DS
> replacement tip
> Part no JT-103

Let me save you the trouble... You really DON'T want to buy one of
those. That kind of desoldering device really _blows_, and blows _hard_.
(I have one! NEVER use it anymore!) You'd be _much_ off buying a

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=
64-2098

which is just a vacuum pump that you use in conjunction with your regular
soldering iron. But I'd imagine you could find one of those _reasonably_
easily over there. (Heck, it's just a high temperature turkey baster!
:) ) Good luck!

"Sojourner353" <sojourner@dodo.com.au> wrote in

> I have tried also using Desolder Pumps and Pen Tools and if they
> don't
> work properly they can splatter solder all over the place which is bad
> when working on IC's.

??? What are you talking about? Are you not taking the sodapult OFF of
the board before ejecting the solder??

(Just can't work out a scenario where that's possible in my head.)

In article <42da4098@news.comindico.com.au>,
"Sojourner353" <sojourner@dodo.com.au> wrote:

> Hey Ric
>
> I just buy Goot Desolder Braid from Jaycar works great in the boards
> using a 15W Wella Iron.
>
> I have tried also using Desolder Pumps and Pen Tools and if they don't
> work properly they can splatter solder all over the place which is bad when
> working on IC's.
>
> Have you ever tried Desolder Braid?

And another thing to consider is that desoldering pumps can generate
static electricity, which is Not A Good Thing if you're working on
electronics boards. Stick with the braid approach.

martin

Yes, I have had the rubber bulb tools, and always end up back with the
pump. Can't beat them for pulling out solder.

Steve C wrote:
> [...]

>calling.
>
>I am a pinhead in Sydney Australia and looking to buy one of the
>inexpensive desoldering irons that NTE and Radioshack sell. I am not a
>high user for desoldering so I feel this is a better option that the
>more expensive stations that can be purchased.
>
>However, Radioshack don't ship overseas and all other shops I have
>contacted only ship UPS which is US$55 to Australia which makes it
>completely uneconomical to buy.
>
>I am looking for a big favour from a fellow pinhead to purchase one of
>the irons below and a few tips and ship it USPS or Canadian Mail to
>Sydney, once I have sent through payment for the iron and shipping of
>course.
>
>If you can help, please send me an email.
>
>Thanks for your help in advance.
>
>I have included the part number etc below

Dear All

Thank you for your help. Consensus is that this tool really is going to
be a waste of money. I have investigated pro desodlering tools locally
and the amount of board work i do doesn't justify the outlay at this
time for me (at least $250-$300 AUD)

In my further research I have found an all in one soldapult (so more
suction I suppose) monuted onto an iron.

eg http://www.elexp.com/sdr_0848.htm

anyone had any experience with these?

Cheers

Ric

Thanks for your advice Adi, I really appreciate it

I will call them tonight (Sydney time, morning Jersey time) to ask
about it).

Will keep everyone informed.

Thanks again

Ric

Adi

Hmmm. Sort of interesting. Like I said, if you're doing that one board and
not a whole lot more in the future, I would imagine that would be better and
might achieve satisfactory results. Best of luck.

Adi
www.txpinball.com

> Dear All
>
> Thank you for your help. Consensus is that this tool really is going to
> be a waste of money. I have investigated pro desodlering tools locally
> and the amount of board work i do doesn't justify the outlay at this
> time for me (at least $250-$300 AUD)
>
> In my further research I have found an all in one soldapult (so more
> suction I suppose) monuted onto an iron.
>
> eg http://www.elexp.com/sdr_0848.htm
>
> anyone had any experience with these?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ric

"Ric" <riclewin@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> In my further research I have found an all in one soldapult (so more
> suction I suppose) monuted onto an iron.
>
> eg http://www.elexp.com/sdr_0848.htm
>
> anyone had any experience with these?

Weller used to make something like this. I've used one of those, and it
worked pretty well.

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| Why are there flotation devices under plane seats instead of parachutes?|

Hi David

Doesn't seem that Weller make this iron anymore

I am looking currently at one made by GC Waldom and seems to be the
model that is most readily avaiable. I am currently discussing with an
electronics store if they will ship to Australia via USPS.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply

Ric

TRENDING THREADS