xp hesitates on opening folders

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

just started recently.

My XP Pro PC will lock up when I try to open a folder.

say I open Excel or Word, click on File, then Open, then click on the arrow
next to Look In to select a particular folder, and it hesitates for up to a
minute or two (seems longer).

I check task manager and nothing shows locked up, CPU usage is low.

these are networked folders, but I can do a constant ping and the ping is
returned in 1 ms.

Don't see any other network problems, so kinda confused as to what is
causing this. PC problem or network problem?
8 answers Last reply
More about hesitates opening folders
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I'd go for network, the only still weak field of Windows. Could be the
    DNS-service is not working correctly and Windows cannot find the name
    of the server where the folders are located. Check the IP-settings on
    your client. Compare speed if you connect the network-folders with IP
    in stead of servername (so \\192.168.0.145\Folders\Financial\Gary in
    stead of \\Fileserver\Folders\Financial\Gary). If that goes quicker,
    its a DNS problem.

    Also, try to remember exactly when this first occured, and check what
    changed in the network or your client just before that moment. Check if
    other users have the same problem, and if so, herass your system admin
    about it (he might have changed something on the server).
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    How to Optimize Word
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239431

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Gary" wrote:

    | just started recently.
    |
    | My XP Pro PC will lock up when I try to open a folder.
    |
    | say I open Excel or Word, click on File, then Open, then click on the arrow
    | next to Look In to select a particular folder, and it hesitates for up to a
    | minute or two (seems longer).
    |
    | I check task manager and nothing shows locked up, CPU usage is low.
    |
    | these are networked folders, but I can do a constant ping and the ping is
    | returned in 1 ms.
    |
    | Don't see any other network problems, so kinda confused as to what is
    | causing this. PC problem or network problem?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Sure. Try to 'ping -t' the server, see if it loses packets. 'Ping -t'
    something on the internet, see if that works well.

    I've seen lots of strange things which in the end seemed to be bad
    UTP-cables or cheap hubs/switches... In my home environment I even had
    a raspppoe-dial-up which, every 30 seconds or so, lost connection for a
    second, then had connection, then lost, then had and had it for another
    30 seconds before repeating the whole thing... End conclusion was that
    one port on my (I admit it: Very cheap) hub was faulty.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I'll try that.
    thanks

    gary

    "Avlan" <basvanelk@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'd go for network, the only still weak field of Windows. Could be the
    > DNS-service is not working correctly and Windows cannot find the name
    > of the server where the folders are located. Check the IP-settings on
    > your client. Compare speed if you connect the network-folders with IP
    > in stead of servername (so \\192.168.0.145\Folders\Financial\Gary in
    > stead of \\Fileserver\Folders\Financial\Gary). If that goes quicker,
    > its a DNS problem.
    >
    > Also, try to remember exactly when this first occured, and check what
    > changed in the network or your client just before that moment. Check if
    > other users have the same problem, and if so, herass your system admin
    > about it (he might have changed something on the server).

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    one more thing.

    I do see it happening also when I try to open new email in outlook 2003.

    not everytime, but enough to irritate the heck out of me.

    shouldnt be DNS problem, as I use DHCP to hand out DNS here, and nobody else
    is having this problem.

    could it be cable issue? bad port on switch?

    gary

    "gary" <garym_jacksonfurniture_dontspamme_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'll try that.
    > thanks
    >
    > gary
    >
    > "Avlan" <basvanelk@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I'd go for network, the only still weak field of Windows. Could be the
    >> DNS-service is not working correctly and Windows cannot find the name
    >> of the server where the folders are located. Check the IP-settings on
    >> your client. Compare speed if you connect the network-folders with IP
    >> in stead of servername (so \\192.168.0.145\Folders\Financial\Gary in
    >> stead of \\Fileserver\Folders\Financial\Gary). If that goes quicker,
    >> its a DNS problem.
    >>
    >> Also, try to remember exactly when this first occured, and check what
    >> changed in the network or your client just before that moment. Check if
    >> other users have the same problem, and if so, herass your system admin
    >> about it (he might have changed something on the server).

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    well, I did the constant ping to our file server for a few minutes, over 700
    pings and not one dropped, and all were at 1 ms.
    weird.

    > Sure. Try to 'ping -t' the server, see if it loses packets. 'Ping -t'
    > something on the internet, see if that works well.
    >
    > I've seen lots of strange things which in the end seemed to be bad
    > UTP-cables or cheap hubs/switches... In my home environment I even had
    > a raspppoe-dial-up which, every 30 seconds or so, lost connection for a
    > second, then had connection, then lost, then had and had it for another
    > 30 seconds before repeating the whole thing... End conclusion was that
    > one port on my (I admit it: Very cheap) hub was faulty.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    try these:

    http://www.tweakxp.com/Article37934.aspx
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips250.html

    they all mention the same tweak; I've used it and it works fine, tho your
    issue sounds a tad different (yours seems REAL slow!).

    Good Luck...
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Those tweaks seem to be only about a working environment that appears
    slow, not really what Gary experiences, i.e. locks... I'd be surprised
    if those tweaks helped.

    Idd weird Gary, but the fact that you can ping at least proves there's
    nothing wrong with your connection. It still sounds to me like some
    DNS-issue, or something alike. I'm no expert on DNS though, but when I
    was setting up my server, on logging in I had a sort of lockdown for
    about a minute, after which the PC came through, could login, and
    seemed ok (but later appeared things were missing). The problem in that
    case was faulty DNS.

    Have you tried to connect to network-computer through IP (in stead of
    name) as I suggested before? You might also try to config the
    IP-settings of the client locally in stead of through DHCP, and f.i.
    try to fiddle a bit with DNS-servers.

Microsoft Windows XP