Sign in with
Your question

CPU advice

Last response: in CPUs
August 22, 2003 4:01:29 PM

A friend is trying to decided what CPU to get, is there any big difference between AMD & Intel.

AMD seem to have a faster FSB but if you get a faster mhz Intel would they be on par or is the faster FSB really important?

Thanks in advance for any advice :) 

More about : cpu advice

August 22, 2003 5:17:51 PM

Quote:
AMD seem to have a faster FSB but if you get a faster mhz Intel would they be on par or is the faster FSB really important?

Huh?

AMD's very top end has a 2x200MHz (400MHz marketspeak) FSB. Intel's very top end has a 4x200MHz (800MHz marketspeak) FSB. So depending on how you look at it, it's either a tie or a clear win for Intel.

Plus Intel has HyperThreading on their NorthwoodCs and the 3.06GHz NorthwoodB and both AMD and Intel have dual-channel DDR400 as an option.

So all-in-all, the only real reasons to go with AMD are cost and their x87 floating-point performance. (And the latter reason is growing increasingly meaningless with the P4's SSE2 and so many SSE2-optimized applications these days.) So for most people the only real reason to go with AMD is cost.

Personally I'd say go with a Pentium4 Northwood C. The P4 2.4CGHz is priced pretty well. :) 

But any sort of information on what existing hardware and software(if any) would be involved, what price range is involved, and other such important details would help us to give you much more tailored suggestions.

<font color=blue>If you look <font color=purple>The Devil</font color=purple><font color=red>®</font color=red> straight in the eye and only see yourself then you must be standing in front of a mirror.</font color=blue>
August 23, 2003 12:58:03 AM

Man, you sure are writing some great posts lately for sure!!! Not saying you didn't in the past, but your writing some great posts lately. Keep it up Man!!!

Well, I didn't think that was gonna happen!!!
Related resources
August 23, 2003 2:37:51 AM

How much does your friend want to spend?
August 26, 2003 8:53:19 AM

Thanks for all your advice guys. I know I was a bit sparse on details but I left the message just as I was leaving work.

My friend has gone for a P4 2.8, I'm sure he will have lots of fun with it.

All I need to do is upgrade my tired old P4 1.4 :) 

Thanks again!
August 26, 2003 11:46:08 AM

Hey man!You must know one thing:AMD fans and INTEL fans can never get along with each other,so asking this question is only a fuse of quarrels!
!