Tech: No GI lights in upper playfield - BK2K

Checked continuity with no issues, Upper playfield is getting between 9 to
21 volts. Still no upper G.I. playfield lights or Bumper lights. No flashers
under the plastics. However, All switches, lights and flashers under the
upper playfield work. Swapped relay board with the one on the backbox. No
difference. Backbox lights still work but nothing on the upper playfield.

Any suggestions??
Thanks again
Kevin

There's a connector on the relay board uner the main playfield that probably
needs to be reflowed. That's what was wrong with mine. If you lift the
playfield up (main playfield), the board is in the lower left hand corner. I
assume this is the one you swapped? On mine, if you jiggled the connector
(don't recall which one at the moment as I do not have the machine any more)
the lights woiuld come on.

http://flickr.com/photos/91696572@N00/26538614/

One of the connectors on the bottom left board in this picture.

Check it out, I think thta is where you will find your problem :)

Chris

"Kevin Rigsby" <wisper9999@.c.o.m.c.a.s.t.net> wrote in message
> Checked continuity with no issues, Upper playfield is getting between 9 to
> 21 volts. Still no upper G.I. playfield lights or Bumper lights. No
> flashers under the plastics. However, All switches, lights and flashers
> under the
> upper playfield work. Swapped relay board with the one on the backbox. No
> difference. Backbox lights still work but nothing on the upper playfield.
>

> Any suggestions??
> Thanks again
> Kevin

Check for sticking relay or cracked solder joints/burned connectors on GI
relay board.

Check for cracked solder joints and burned connectors or even an open/burned
up trace on the famous "interconnect" board in lower left corner of backbox.
Source of many problems in late System 11 games...

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"Kevin Rigsby" <wisper9999@.c.o.m.c.a.s.t.net> wrote in message
> Checked continuity with no issues, Upper playfield is getting between 9 to
> 21 volts. Still no upper G.I. playfield lights or Bumper lights. No
flashers
> under the plastics. However, All switches, lights and flashers under the
> upper playfield work. Swapped relay board with the one on the backbox. No
> difference. Backbox lights still work but nothing on the upper playfield.
>

> Any suggestions??
> Thanks again
> Kevin

There's also a small board under the main playfield in BK2K that
interconnects the main harness to the upper playfield so problem could be
there, too.

Don't forget fuses on the interconnect board in backbox...

This game is famous for cracked solder joints on pins and PC boards on the
playfield due to a lot of vibration, and most having had a LOT of
play/mileage over the years due to popularity....

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

"Kevin Rigsby" <wisper9999@.c.o.m.c.a.s.t.net> wrote in message
> Checked continuity with no issues, Upper playfield is getting between 9 to
> 21 volts. Still no upper G.I. playfield lights or Bumper lights. No
flashers
> under the plastics. However, All switches, lights and flashers under the
> upper playfield work. Swapped relay board with the one on the backbox. No
> difference. Backbox lights still work but nothing on the upper playfield.
>

> Any suggestions??
> Thanks again
> Kevin

Problem Solved.
The no lights issue was caused by the relay stuck on during power-up. After
I changed the driver and pre-driver transistor the relay now works.

Thanks all for the help
-Kevin

"Ray Johnson - Action Pinball" <staff@actionpinball.com> wrote in message
> Check for sticking relay or cracked solder joints/burned connectors on GI
> relay board.
>
> Check for cracked solder joints and burned connectors or even an
> open/burned
> up trace on the famous "interconnect" board in lower left corner of
> backbox.
> Source of many problems in late System 11 games...
>
> Ray J.
> --
> Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
> Salt Lake City, Utah USA
> Web: www.actionpinball.com
>
> We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
>

> "Kevin Rigsby" <wisper9999@.c.o.m.c.a.s.t.net> wrote in message
>> Checked continuity with no issues, Upper playfield is getting between 9
>> 21 volts. Still no upper G.I. playfield lights or Bumper lights. No
> flashers
>> under the plastics. However, All switches, lights and flashers under the
>> upper playfield work. Swapped relay board with the one on the backbox. No
>> difference. Backbox lights still work but nothing on the upper playfield.
>>

>> Any suggestions??
>> Thanks again
>> Kevin

Also want to thanks Scott Weiland for helping me find the solution. He was
able to tell me what the relays do and when they are used. This was very
helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Thanks Scott
-Kevin