Service Pack 2 installation

August 26, 2005 10:44:03 AM

The below stuff was posted in a previous post on here. I went and downloaded
the the file and pulled the INF from my machine. I added the reg keys placed
the inf back into the orginal location ran the command line tool to turn off
the FWall client and it worked. My question is how can i take this inf and
put it into an SP2 installation package. The Inf included in the
installation package are called netfw.in_, where as once installed like on my
machine it is called netfw.inf. removing the two files from the installation
package called netfw.in_ and replacing them with the netfw.inf did not work.
What am i missing. Again looking to push an installation of SP2 that has the
firewall client turned off by default.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Using the Windows Firewall INF File in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "RTemple" wrote:
>
> | Does anyone know how to create an installation package that will not turn on
> | the firewall client for SP2. I have slipstreamed the SP2 package so it runs
> | unattended but i can not modify how it install the firewall client. i have
> | about 500 users to push this to all at remote locations. we will be using
> | SMS to push this. I can not rely on the client to turn it off. Any help would
> | greatly be appreicated.

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:41:04 AM

Here is what i have done. I have slipstreamed XP sp2 which extracts the
files. The reason for doing this is i am going to push SP2 to the clients
using SMS 2.0. By slipstreaming it allows me to use the update.exe /u that
allows for an unattended installation of sp2. The user isnt required to
acrchive the files blah blah.... My intention is to modfiy the slipstreamed
installation to exclude turning on the firewall. Some posted "as seen below"
an article that allows me to copy the NETfw.ini from a machine that already
has sp2 installed and add registry keys to that file that will turn off the
firewall client. I can then copy the file back to the locaiton and run netsh
firewall reset and it will reset the firewall setting. Using this method i
would have to push SP2, then push the netfw.inf file behind it. I just need
a way to install sp2 with the firewall client disabled.

"RTemple" wrote:

> The below stuff was posted in a previous post on here. I went and downloaded
> the the file and pulled the INF from my machine. I added the reg keys placed
> the inf back into the orginal location ran the command line tool to turn off
> the FWall client and it worked. My question is how can i take this inf and
> put it into an SP2 installation package. The Inf included in the
> installation package are called netfw.in_, where as once installed like on my
> machine it is called netfw.inf. removing the two files from the installation
> package called netfw.in_ and replacing them with the netfw.inf did not work.
> What am i missing. Again looking to push an installation of SP2 that has the
> firewall client turned off by default.
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Using the Windows Firewall INF File in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "RTemple" wrote:
> >
> > | Does anyone know how to create an installation package that will not turn on
> > | the firewall client for SP2. I have slipstreamed the SP2 package so it runs
> > | unattended but i can not modify how it install the firewall client. i have
> > | about 500 users to push this to all at remote locations. we will be using
> > | SMS to push this. I can not rely on the client to turn it off. Any help would
> > | greatly be appreicated.

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 8:07:35 PM

Hi,

To disable the SP2 firewall, there is no need for using netfw.inf
or netsh.exe. I also wouldn't extract the 266 MB large SP2 installer
(SP2WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe) to then run update.exe, as
SP2WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe support exactly the same command
line parameters as update.exe for unattended install (e.g. /quiet,
/passive and /norestart)

To disable the firewall, you can just set two registry settings before
the SP2 installation. The FW disables itself when it finds those
registry settings.

The registry settings are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
\EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
\EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

(adding the registry values after SP2 is installed will also disable
the firewall at next startup)

The registry settings are documented here:

WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

The VBScript below sets the two registry values needed to disable
the WinXP SP2 firewall, and then it install SP2 in unattended mode.

'--------------------8<----------------------
Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall" _
& "\DomainProfile\EnableFirewall", 0, "REG_DWORD"

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall" _
& "\StandardProfile\EnableFirewall", 0, "REG_DWORD"

sLaunchCmd = "SP2WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /quiet /passive /norestart"
iRetVal = oShell.Run(sLaunchCmd, 1, True)

If iRetVal <> 3010 And iRetVal <> 0 Then
MsgBox "Installation was NOT successful, error code returned: " & iRetVal
End If

'--------------------8<----------------------

Regards,
Torgeir

RTemple wrote:

> Here is what i have done. I have slipstreamed XP sp2 which extracts the
> files. The reason for doing this is i am going to push SP2 to the clients
> using SMS 2.0. By slipstreaming it allows me to use the update.exe /u that
> allows for an unattended installation of sp2. The user isnt required to
> acrchive the files blah blah.... My intention is to modfiy the slipstreamed
> installation to exclude turning on the firewall. Some posted "as seen below"
> an article that allows me to copy the NETfw.ini from a machine that already
> has sp2 installed and add registry keys to that file that will turn off the
> firewall client. I can then copy the file back to the locaiton and run netsh
> firewall reset and it will reset the firewall setting. Using this method i
> would have to push SP2, then push the netfw.inf file behind it. I just need
> a way to install sp2 with the firewall client disabled.
>
> "RTemple" wrote:
>

>>The below stuff was posted in a previous post on here. I went and downloaded
>>the the file and pulled the INF from my machine. I added the reg keys placed
>>the inf back into the orginal location ran the command line tool to turn off
>>the FWall client and it worked. My question is how can i take this inf and
>>put it into an SP2 installation package. The Inf included in the
>>installation package are called netfw.in_, where as once installed like on my
>>machine it is called netfw.inf. removing the two files from the installation
>>package called netfw.in_ and replacing them with the netfw.inf did not work.
>>What am i missing. Again looking to push an installation of SP2 that has the
>>firewall client turned off by default.
>>

>>"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>>

>>>Using the Windows Firewall INF File in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: