Booting from and external device

Hi:

I am currently looking at what laptops are available for purchase
and would like to know if Windows can be installed on an external
(e.g., USB, FireWire) device (e.g., CD, DVD, memory card (thumb-drive))
so that it boots from there, not the internal Hard Disk.

How would I be able to determine this (in advance) so that I know the
laptop's capabilities/limitations prior to buying it ?

Thank you

Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive.
It must be installed on an internal drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"DaleB" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am currently looking at what laptops are available for purchase
> and would like to know if Windows can be installed on an external
> (e.g., USB, FireWire) device (e.g., CD, DVD, memory card (thumb-drive))
> so that it boots from there, not the internal Hard Disk.
>
> How would I be able to determine this (in advance) so that I know the
> laptop's capabilities/limitations prior to buying it ?
>
> Thank you

What about a Thumb Drive (Memory Stick) like those from SanDisk ?
Can you install XP on that and then boot from it ?

"DaleB" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am currently looking at what laptops are available for purchase
> and would like to know if Windows can be installed on an external
> (e.g., USB, FireWire) device (e.g., CD, DVD, memory card (thumb-drive))
> so that it boots from there, not the internal Hard Disk.
>
> How would I be able to determine this (in advance) so that I know the
> laptop's capabilities/limitations prior to buying it ?
>
> Thank you

Why ?
See my other question regarding Thumd Drives.
Thanx !

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive.
> It must be installed on an internal drive.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>

> "DaleB" wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > I am currently looking at what laptops are available for purchase
> > and would like to know if Windows can be installed on an external
> > (e.g., USB, FireWire) device (e.g., CD, DVD, memory card (thumb-drive))
> > so that it boots from there, not the internal Hard Disk.
> >
> > How would I be able to determine this (in advance) so that I know the
> > laptop's capabilities/limitations prior to buying it ?
> >
> > Thank you

anna

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive.
> It must be installed on an internal drive.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User

Just to "flesh-out" Carey's comment a bit...

Carey is correct in that XP cannot be *directly* installed on an external
drive, however, using a disk imaging program, e.g., Norton Ghost or Acronis
True Image, that operating system can be "cloned" from one's internal HD to
the external one. In the case of a USB/Firewire external HD as the recipient
of the clone, that device will *not* be bootable, but its contents could
later be cloned back to the internal drive should the need arise for
restoration purposes.
Anna

Thanx !
See my other comment.
Can you install XO on, and then boot from a USB thumb drive ?

"Anna" wrote:

> > "DaleB" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi:
> >>
> >> I am currently looking at what laptops are available for purchase
> >> and would like to know if Windows can be installed on an external
> >> (e.g., USB, FireWire) device (e.g., CD, DVD, memory card (thumb-drive))
> >> so that it boots from there, not the internal Hard Disk.
> >>
> >> How would I be able to determine this (in advance) so that I know the
> >> laptop's capabilities/limitations prior to buying it ?
> >>
> >> Thank you
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive.
> > It must be installed on an internal drive.
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
>

> Just to "flesh-out" Carey's comment a bit...
>
> Carey is correct in that XP cannot be *directly* installed on an external
> drive, however, using a disk imaging program, e.g., Norton Ghost or Acronis
> True Image, that operating system can be "cloned" from one's internal HD to
> the external one. In the case of a USB/Firewire external HD as the recipient
> of the clone, that device will *not* be bootable, but its contents could
> later be cloned back to the internal drive should the need arise for
> restoration purposes.
> Anna

Good point - just one more time can I mention that it's not
external that is the criteria - but removable. There has been
SCSI and now SATA-IO "External" drives that can support
XP installation & booting.

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

>> "DaleB" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I am currently looking at what laptops are available for purchase
>>> and would like to know if Windows can be installed on an external
>>> (e.g., USB, FireWire) device (e.g., CD, DVD, memory card (thumb-drive))
>>> so that it boots from there, not the internal Hard Disk.
>>>
>>> How would I be able to determine this (in advance) so that I know the
>>> laptop's capabilities/limitations prior to buying it ?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive.
>> It must be installed on an internal drive.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>

> Just to "flesh-out" Carey's comment a bit...
>
> Carey is correct in that XP cannot be *directly* installed on an external
> drive, however, using a disk imaging program, e.g., Norton Ghost or
> Acronis True Image, that operating system can be "cloned" from one's
> internal HD to the external one. In the case of a USB/Firewire external HD
> as the recipient of the clone, that device will *not* be bootable, but its
> contents could later be cloned back to the internal drive should the need
> arise for restoration purposes.
> Anna

Hi:
Thanx...
See my other comment regarding Thumb Drives.
Can you boot from these ?

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Good point - just one more time can I mention that it's not
> external that is the criteria - but removable. There has been
> SCSI and now SATA-IO "External" drives that can support
> XP installation & booting.
>
> "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive.
> >> It must be installed on an internal drive.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >

> > Just to "flesh-out" Carey's comment a bit...
> >
> > Carey is correct in that XP cannot be *directly* installed on an external
> > drive, however, using a disk imaging program, e.g., Norton Ghost or
> > Acronis True Image, that operating system can be "cloned" from one's
> > internal HD to the external one. In the case of a USB/Firewire external HD
> > as the recipient of the clone, that device will *not* be bootable, but its
> > contents could later be cloned back to the internal drive should the need
> > arise for restoration purposes.
> > Anna

As with anything, there are always possibilities - but no guarantees.
Read the following from O'Reily:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5735

"DaleB" <DaleB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why ?
> See my other question regarding Thumd Drives.
> Thanx !
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive.
>> It must be installed on an internal drive.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>

>> "DaleB" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi:
>> >
>> > I am currently looking at what laptops are available for purchase
>> > and would like to know if Windows can be installed on an external
>> > (e.g., USB, FireWire) device (e.g., CD, DVD, memory card (thumb-drive))
>> > so that it boots from there, not the internal Hard Disk.
>> >
>> > How would I be able to determine this (in advance) so that I know the
>> > laptop's capabilities/limitations prior to buying it ?
>> >
>> > Thank you

anna

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Good point - just one more time can I mention that it's not
> external that is the criteria - but removable. There has been
> SCSI and now SATA-IO "External" drives that can support
> XP installation & booting.

Mr. McCarty:
And a good point by you with respect to SATA external drives that can be
connected to a motherboard's *external* SATA connector (eSATA connector on
the newer motherboards). Some of these devices also have USB capability as
well. It may not be too long before these devices actually supplant the USB
external hard drives so in use today.

But (as I believe I mentioned to you in a previous posting re this subject),
a "removable" drive, i.e., a hard drive contained in a removable tray within
a mobile rack that's affixed to the computer, is, in *all* respects, an
"internal" drive that has the *full" capability of a normal internal hard
drive. So although it's *removable*, it can contain a bootable XP operating
system with no problem of any kind.
Anna

Anna, I'll be sure to make that notation on any future postings about
Removable/External Boot devices. Thanks

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:59:59 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote:

>Carey is correct in that XP cannot be *directly* installed on an external
>drive, however, using a disk imaging program, e.g., Norton Ghost or Acronis
>True Image, that operating system can be "cloned" from one's internal HD to
>the external one. In the case of a USB/Firewire external HD as the recipient
>of the clone, that device will *not* be bootable, but its contents could
>later be cloned back to the internal drive should the need arise for
>restoration purposes.

Also of course if the computer supports booting from the CD/DVD
drive, then if Windows is written to a bootable DVD that's another
option.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

=?Utf-8?B?RGFsZUI=?= wrote:

> I am currently looking at what laptops are available for purchase
> and would like to know if Windows can be installed on an external
> (e.g., USB, FireWire) device (e.g., CD, DVD, memory card (thumb-drive))
> so that it boots from there, not the internal Hard Disk.

NO. Windows cannot be installed on an external drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Dear Carey: I'm starting to become a little confused with your replies. In
your response to JohnnyLingo dated 21Jun2005 headed "USB Jump Drive" (4
posts), he asked the same question, and you indicated that it is possible,
keeping in mind three elements (I won't repeat them here, pls refer to your
response there). What is the correct response, please? Maybe I should take
note only of Anna's comments on this matter. Would appreciate your
clarification of this matter.
--
CEC4