Can the rear speaker jack play stereo music

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdocandy

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I have a home theater system in my media room. There are a pair of stereo speakers in the living room that are hard wired to jacks in the media room. Since all the jacks on the home theater system are used for the surround sound, I bough another receiver and another pair of book shelf speakers. When I unpacked it, the jacks were just the same as my surround sound. Can the rear speaker jacks be used for regular stereo in the living room?

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
your question is very vague.

this is what i read..
you have wall jacks for the speakers in the room.
there are another set of wall jacks in the living room that connect to the receiver that powers the speakers in the media room.

to me, i would say my first guess is that the receiver powering the media room speakers has an A/B switch to select one of two different pairs of speakers.
obviously one set of speakers would be in the media room, and the other pair of speakers would be in the living room.

wall jacks are nothing more than wires in the walls to hide the wires.
the receiver would have a wire that plugs up into the jack on the wall.. the wire in the wall takes that signal to the speaker jack, and the speaker connects to the wall plate to provide the connection.

if you put a receiver in the living room to power a pair of speakers, then you need to leave those wall jacks alone.
they connect to the other receiver.

you havent said if you want to replace the receiver or use the new receiver as a secondary.
i get that you said 'stereo in the living room'
and, again, for that.. you would connect the speakers directly to the receiver.. and leave the receiver in the living room.

as long as the wall jacks are connected to the media room receiver.. you can imagine that the terminals (positive and negative on the wall plate) are like a wire or cord coming from the receiver.
meaning, you dont want to connect those to the living room receiver's preamp inputs.

if you want to use those wall jacks with the new receiver.. you will have to find the wires in the attic or basement or crawlspace and re-route them to the new receiver.

so take some care to learn how the wires are already run.
if you can get to the inside of the wall from the attic, then you would disconnect the wires from the wall jack and run them straight up the wall, so if you ever want to use the wall jacks in the media room again.. all you have to do is drop the wire back down the wall and make the connection.

there wont be any plates on the wall for the receiver.. so when you drop the wire (or run it from the basement, going up the wall) you will have to make a hole for the wires to come out of and attach those wires to the wall jack.

if i'm not any where close, you need to describe what you are trying to do.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
jacks... are... plugs. Dont confused them as wall jacks or anything other, jacks are jsut another name for a plug.

OP: are u sure ur not getting the jack confused as a speaker wire?

also you shouldnt automatically think, that a certian wire shuld aonly be connected for certain channels, they are all the same, they are all universal. if it fits - it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.