dead HD on an Inpiron 7000

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I have a dead HD on an Inspiron 7000. I have an extra iDE hd I could use. The
connectors are different. I am pallning to retire it from active duty and use it
only for desktop use. I don't want to spend too much money and I'd rather solder
the wires for the connectors myself. What pin goes where?

what are the exact model number of the drives that you are talking about. i
suspect that they are both standard ide drives with the same connector. you
simply need to remove and reuse the adapter that is plugged into the dead
dell i7000 drive. that adapter that is plugged into the drives connector
fits so tightly that it may appear to actually be part of the drive.

"123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
>I have a dead HD on an Inspiron 7000. I have an extra iDE hd I could use.
>The
> connectors are different. I am pallning to retire it from active duty and
> use it
> only for desktop use. I don't want to spend too much money and I'd rather
> solder
> the wires for the connectors myself. What pin goes where?

I've seen adapters to handle the interface between a 2.5" notebook DRIVE and a
standard desktop 3.5" IDE connector, but never anything in reverse.

I think you would be buying a ton of trouble attempting to hook up a standard
IDE drive to a the notebook 44-pin interface. Soldering on contemporary circuit
boards is fraught with risks. The larger IDE drive draws more current than a
smaller 2.5" drive, and may well exceed the power capacity of the notebook.

Simply buy a replacement 2.5" notebook drive and install it. You may spend a
few more bucks that way, but you will save yourself a lot of time and
aggravation. You may also save yourself from making a mistake soldering and
killing your Inspiron outright... Ben Myers

> what are the exact model number of the drives that you are talking about.
> i suspect that they are both standard ide drives with the same connector.
> you simply need to remove and reuse the adapter that is plugged into the
> dead dell i7000 drive. that adapter that is plugged into the drives
> connector fits so tightly that it may appear to actually be part of the
> drive.
>
> "123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
>>I have a dead HD on an Inspiron 7000. I have an extra iDE hd I could use.
>>The
>> connectors are different. I am pallning to retire it from active duty and
>> use it
>> only for desktop use. I don't want to spend too much money and I'd rather
>> solder
>> the wires for the connectors myself. What pin goes where?

It is unclear if you're referring to two same-sized LAPTOP-STYLE hard
drives, or a laptop drive and a Desktop drive. Do not mix a desktop with a
laptop unless you have an advanced degree in computer engineering, and even
then, I'd only advise it as a graduate thesis project.

With two laptop drives, they are (to my experience) all built with
*removable* pin assemblies. I had to rig an I2800 hdd to run on an I8200
laptop once, and it worked just fine. Also, I *could* rig the 8200 hdd to
run on the 2800, but I didn't want to go there with *my* 8200 hdd.

"Do not mix a desktop with a laptop unless you have an advanced degree in
computer engineering, and even then, I'd only advise it as a graduate thesis
project." Poetic license? An unclear statement to be sure.

Sheesh! This is not rocket science. You get a 2.5" 44-pin to 3.5" 40-pin+4-pin
power adapter, hook up the notebook drive to a desktop system. Now I'll admit
that going the other way presents a challenge unless one wants to use a USB-3.5"
adapter or enclosure to plug a 3.5" drive in externally to a notebook computer.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:38:11 -0600, "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk"
<dick_silk@antispam.gov> wrote:

>"Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> what are the exact model number of the drives that you are talking about.
>> i suspect that they are both standard ide drives with the same connector.
>> you simply need to remove and reuse the adapter that is plugged into the
>> dead dell i7000 drive. that adapter that is plugged into the drives
>> connector fits so tightly that it may appear to actually be part of the
>> drive.
>>
>> "123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a dead HD on an Inspiron 7000. I have an extra iDE hd I could use.
>>>The
>>> connectors are different. I am pallning to retire it from active duty and
>>> use it
>>> only for desktop use. I don't want to spend too much money and I'd rather
>>> solder
>>> the wires for the connectors myself. What pin goes where?
>
>It is unclear if you're referring to two same-sized LAPTOP-STYLE hard
>drives, or a laptop drive and a Desktop drive. Do not mix a desktop with a
>laptop unless you have an advanced degree in computer engineering, and even
>then, I'd only advise it as a graduate thesis project.
>
>With two laptop drives, they are (to my experience) all built with
>*removable* pin assemblies. I had to rig an I2800 hdd to run on an I8200
>laptop once, and it worked just fine. Also, I *could* rig the 8200 hdd to
>run on the 2800, but I didn't want to go there with *my* 8200 hdd.

the op never said he was trying to put a 3.5" desktop ide drive into his
laptop. all he said was that that the connector was different on the spare
drive that he has... and that could be because of the adapter the i7000
requires to be mounted on a standard 2.5" ide laptop drive interface which
is on the currently installed drive and could be moved to the alternate
drive... certainly this adapter will not fit on a 3.5" drive so why all the
worries? lets see what he comes back with...

> "Do not mix a desktop with a laptop unless you have an advanced degree in
> computer engineering, and even then, I'd only advise it as a graduate
> thesis
> project." Poetic license? An unclear statement to be sure.
>
> Sheesh! This is not rocket science. You get a 2.5" 44-pin to 3.5"
> 40-pin+4-pin
> power adapter, hook up the notebook drive to a desktop system. Now I'll
> admit
> that going the other way presents a challenge unless one wants to use a
> USB-3.5"
> adapter or enclosure to plug a 3.5" drive in externally to a notebook
> computer.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:38:11 -0600, "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk"
> <dick_silk@antispam.gov> wrote:
>
>>"Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> what are the exact model number of the drives that you are talking
>>> about.
>>> i suspect that they are both standard ide drives with the same
>>> connector.
>>> you simply need to remove and reuse the adapter that is plugged into the
>>> dead dell i7000 drive. that adapter that is plugged into the drives
>>> connector fits so tightly that it may appear to actually be part of the
>>> drive.
>>>
>>> "123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
>>
>>It is unclear if you're referring to two same-sized LAPTOP-STYLE hard
>>drives, or a laptop drive and a Desktop drive. Do not mix a desktop with
>>laptop unless you have an advanced degree in computer engineering, and
>>even
>>then, I'd only advise it as a graduate thesis project.
>>
>>With two laptop drives, they are (to my experience) all built with
>>*removable* pin assemblies. I had to rig an I2800 hdd to run on an I8200
>>laptop once, and it worked just fine. Also, I *could* rig the 8200 hdd to
>>run on the 2800, but I didn't want to go there with *my* 8200 hdd.

I dare you to say that three times fast... :)

> Sheesh! This is not rocket science. You get a 2.5" 44-pin to 3.5"
> 40-pin+4-pin
> power adapter, hook up the notebook drive to a desktop system. Now I'll
> admit
> that going the other way presents a challenge unless one wants to use a
> USB-3.5"
> adapter or enclosure to plug a 3.5" drive in externally to a notebook
> computer.
>
> ... Ben Myers

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

>"Do not mix a desktop with a laptop unless you have an advanced degree in
>computer engineering, and even then, I'd only advise it as a graduate thesis
>project." Poetic license? An unclear statement to be sure.
>
>Sheesh! This is not rocket science. You get a 2.5" 44-pin to 3.5" 40-pin+4-pin
>power adapter, hook up the notebook drive to a desktop system. Now I'll admit
>that going the other way presents a challenge unless one wants to use a USB-3.5"
>adapter or enclosure to plug a 3.5" drive in externally to a notebook computer.
>
>... Ben Myers

Where can I get such and adapter? I was think I could use an external power
source for power.

I trolled around eBay until I found several I liked at good prices. Much more
time-efficient than schlepping around to CompUSA, Staples, OfficeMax, Wal*Mart,
Fry's and wherever else. Well, if there's a Fry's in your neighborhood, they
may have one... Ben Myers

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:28:07 +0200, 123 <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote:

>ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>"Do not mix a desktop with a laptop unless you have an advanced degree in
>>computer engineering, and even then, I'd only advise it as a graduate thesis
>>project." Poetic license? An unclear statement to be sure.
>>
>>Sheesh! This is not rocket science. You get a 2.5" 44-pin to 3.5" 40-pin+4-pin
>>power adapter, hook up the notebook drive to a desktop system. Now I'll admit
>>that going the other way presents a challenge unless one wants to use a USB-3.5"
>>adapter or enclosure to plug a 3.5" drive in externally to a notebook computer.
>>
>>... Ben Myers
>>

>Where can I get such and adapter? I was think I could use an external power
>source for power.

ben was talking about an adapter that allows you to connect a 2.5" laptop
drive to a standard desktop computer's ide controller (where a 3.5" type
drive is usually connected). you were talking about installing a spare
drive (of unknown physical size) to repair a defective 2.5" laptop drive.
if you want connect 3.5" desktop type drive to your laptop then this adapter
will not help you.
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108

> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>"Do not mix a desktop with a laptop unless you have an advanced degree in
>>computer engineering, and even then, I'd only advise it as a graduate
>>thesis
>>project." Poetic license? An unclear statement to be sure.
>>
>>Sheesh! This is not rocket science. You get a 2.5" 44-pin to 3.5"
>>40-pin+4-pin
>>power adapter, hook up the notebook drive to a desktop system. Now I'll
>>admit
>>that going the other way presents a challenge unless one wants to use a
>>USB-3.5"
>>adapter or enclosure to plug a 3.5" drive in externally to a notebook
>>computer.
>>
>>... Ben Myers
>>

> Where can I get such and adapter? I was think I could use an external
> power
> source for power.

if you were interested in the external drive enclosure then you should be
aware that your computer has only a usb type 1 port which would be very
slow... and it is doubtful that you could boot from the external usb
drive... has any one been able to boot from an external drive on this model?