Sign in with
Your question

Does changing the ip address of your computer do anything to your internet conne

Last response: in Windows 7
November 7, 2012 4:36:13 PM

Hello,

I was banned by my computer's ip address from a particular website and I wanted to get around that by changing my computer's ip address. My question is will this mess up my internet connection or do anything else unforseen to my computer?

-thanks, Luke
a c 243 $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 4:45:25 PM

You can try to refresh your external IP address (the one your ISP provides and the one being tracked/banned), but that isn't likely to happen. Typically, ISPs assign the same IP address to the same MAC address (the hardware address on your router).

Another way to change would be to switch to a different service provider.

So, why were you banned? The website in question must have had a reason to un-invite from the party (so to speak).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 4:45:51 PM

Hi :) 

ONLY your ISP can change your EXTERNAL IP (the one you got banned on)

Changing your INTERNAL IP wont make ANY difference...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 4:54:15 PM

were you trolling?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 5:07:08 PM

An IP ban is usually the harshest of penalties and is generally only given after multiple time-outs and warnings. My guess is that the OP was a repeat offender. I'm not inclined to assist.
m
l
November 9, 2012 10:15:05 AM

Brett928S2 said:

ONLY your ISP can change your EXTERNAL IP (the one you got banned on)

Changing your INTERNAL IP wont make ANY difference...

Not strictly true in all cases, I can force a change of the IP assigned to the WAN on my router simply by turning it of an on again, agreed this isn't the case with all ISPs.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2012 3:56:13 PM

tr2012 said:
Not strictly true in all cases, I can force a change of the IP assigned to the WAN on my router simply by turning it of an on again, agreed this isn't the case with all ISPs.

With MOST ISPS rebooting the router wont help.... and if hes got a static ip hes totally screwed unless the ISP agree to change it for a cost...

m
l
November 11, 2012 2:28:03 PM

Brett928S2 said:

With MOST ISPS rebooting the router wont help.... and if hes got a static ip hes totally screwed unless the ISP agree to change it for a cost...

Didn't claim it would.
m
l
!