DRTP

From: "DRTP" <DRTP@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Dear All,
|
| I have a computer with Windows XP Home. But I seem to have an inordinant
| amount of problems with viruses and pop ups despite having Norton Internet
| Security installed.
|
| If you can recommend an anti-virus and firewall solution which in your
| experience has been more robust at protecting your computers please let me
| know.
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| Regards,
|
| DRTP

CA eTrust -
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
{ Free offer ends 8/1/05 }

It is a full suite. Read all information at the web site.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

> From: "DRTP" <DRTP@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Dear All,
> |
> | I have a computer with Windows XP Home. But I seem to have an
> inordinant
> | amount of problems with viruses and pop ups despite having Norton
> Internet
> | Security installed.
> |
> | If you can recommend an anti-virus and firewall solution which in your
> | experience has been more robust at protecting your computers please let
> me
> | know.
> |
> | Thanks in advance.
> |
> | Regards,
> |
> | DRTP
>
> CA eTrust -
> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
> { Free offer ends 8/1/05 }

David, To quote your response to Bill Johnson in another post, "Duh !" It's
8/26/05, so seeing that the free offer has already expired, why even mention
it. :)

DRTP, Seriously though, there are many products out there, Norton, McAfee,
Spybot, Adaware, etc.. some free, some not. Best practices has always been
safe browsing. If you have to frequent sites that give you viruses or cause
un-wanted pop-ups (for personal, addiction, whatever reasons), then you
should probably use a system that you could easily re-image once the
problems get too bad. I don't think that there's a single product that can
claim 100% guaranteed protection.

--
Mike

From: "Mike Brearley" <nospam@spam.com>

| David, To quote your response to Bill Johnson in another post, "Duh !" It's
| 8/26/05, so seeing that the free offer has already expired, why even mention
| it. :)
|
| DRTP, Seriously though, there are many products out there, Norton, McAfee,
| Spybot, Adaware, etc.. some free, some not. Best practices has always been
| safe browsing. If you have to frequent sites that give you viruses or cause
| un-wanted pop-ups (for personal, addiction, whatever reasons), then you
| should probably use a system that you could easily re-image once the
| problems get too bad. I don't think that there's a single product that can
| claim 100% guaranteed protection.
|
| --
| Mike

My apologies. Excuse me for my mistake in the lack of editing a saved response.
CAI has extended the offer indefinitely. Originally it had expired 2/1/05. It was then
extended 6 months to 8/1/05 and now indefinitely.

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm
"Exclusive offer for Microsoft customers. Free 12-month software subscription to CA's eTrust
EZ Antivirus. Valid for new users only. Limit 1 per household. Not to be combined with any
other offer. Annual subscriptions can be renewed after first year at current renewal rate.
Computer Associates reserves the right to retract this offer at any time. "

--

> My apologies. Excuse me for my mistake in the lack of editing a saved
> response.
> CAI has extended the offer indefinitely. Originally it had expired
> 2/1/05. It was then
> extended 6 months to 8/1/05 and now indefinitely.
>
> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm
> "Exclusive offer for Microsoft customers. Free 12-month software
> subscription to CA's eTrust
> EZ Antivirus. Valid for new users only. Limit 1 per household. Not to be
> combined with any
> other offer. Annual subscriptions can be renewed after first year at
> current renewal rate.
> Computer Associates reserves the right to retract this offer at any time.
> "

Not a problem... I meant my comment to be taken in good humor, not
offensive (hence the little smiley guy). :)

--
Mike

Not saying that this will be good for everyone, but it is what I depend
upon!

1. ZoneAlarm Security Suite (latest version 6.0.631.003)
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

2. PopUpCop
http://www.popupcop.com/

3. Ad-Aware SE Professional ver 1.06
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

4. SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.04

5. Microsoft Anti Spyware beta ver 1.0.615
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

It has been so long since I have even seen a popup that I forget what they
look like. I have not had a virus - SpyWare - Trojan infection (that caused
me more than 2 minutes of scan time) in over a year.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"DRTP" <DRTP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> I have a computer with Windows XP Home. But I seem to have an inordinant
> amount of problems with viruses and pop ups despite having Norton Internet
> Security installed.
>
> If you can recommend an anti-virus and firewall solution which in your
> experience has been more robust at protecting your computers please let me
> know.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> DRTP

Hi,

Thanks very much to all for your assistance. By the way no offence taken at
all to the humorous responses.

Once again thanks.

Regards,

DRTP

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> Not saying that this will be good for everyone, but it is what I depend
> upon!
>
> 1. ZoneAlarm Security Suite (latest version 6.0.631.003)
> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
>
> 2. PopUpCop
> http://www.popupcop.com/
>
> 3. Ad-Aware SE Professional ver 1.06
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> 4. SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.04
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>
> 5. Microsoft Anti Spyware beta ver 1.0.615
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>
> It has been so long since I have even seen a popup that I forget what they
> look like. I have not had a virus - SpyWare - Trojan infection (that caused
> me more than 2 minutes of scan time) in over a year.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>
> "DRTP" <DRTP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have a computer with Windows XP Home. But I seem to have an inordinant
> > amount of problems with viruses and pop ups despite having Norton Internet
> > Security installed.
> >
> > If you can recommend an anti-virus and firewall solution which in your
> > experience has been more robust at protecting your computers please let me
> > know.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > DRTP

dl

You might want to expand a little
'viruses and popups'

In article <#iM#B8nqFHA.4076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
> Not saying that this will be good for everyone, but it is what I depend
> upon!
>
> 1. ZoneAlarm Security Suite (latest version 6.0.631.003)
> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
>
> 2. PopUpCop
> http://www.popupcop.com/
>
> 3. Ad-Aware SE Professional ver 1.06
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> 4. SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.04
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>
> 5. Microsoft Anti Spyware beta ver 1.0.615
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>
> It has been so long since I have even seen a popup that I forget what they
> look like. I have not had a virus - SpyWare - Trojan infection (that caused
> me more than 2 minutes of scan time) in over a year.

Richard - thanks for posting links to the vendors sites - unlike someone
else that pirates their software for his own personal site and then
gives the vendors no credit for it.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

I would never obtain software from anyone but the original vendor, and I
certainly would not want anyone else to be taken in by a doctored version.

I know who you are talking about! (-:

You can't even browse his web site without an unidentified activex control
wanting to be installed on your computer. Damned if I will allow that from
the fellow in question.

--

> In article <#iM#B8nqFHA.4076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
> richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
>> Not saying that this will be good for everyone, but it is what I depend
>> upon!
>>
>> 1. ZoneAlarm Security Suite (latest version 6.0.631.003)
>> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
>>
>> 2. PopUpCop
>> http://www.popupcop.com/
>>
>> 3. Ad-Aware SE Professional ver 1.06
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>>
>> 4. SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.04
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>>
>> 5. Microsoft Anti Spyware beta ver 1.0.615
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>>
>> It has been so long since I have even seen a popup that I forget what
>> they
>> look like. I have not had a virus - SpyWare - Trojan infection (that
>> caused
>> me more than 2 minutes of scan time) in over a year.
>
> Richard - thanks for posting links to the vendors sites - unlike someone
> else that pirates their software for his own personal site and then
> gives the vendors no credit for it.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Stop defaming and harassing me.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would never obtain software from anyone but the original vendor, and I
>certainly would not want anyone else to be taken in by a doctored version.
>
> I know who you are talking about! (-:
>
> You can't even browse his web site without an unidentified activex control
> wanting to be installed on your computer. Damned if I will allow that from
> the fellow in question.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>
> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> In article <#iM#B8nqFHA.4076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
>> richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
>>> Not saying that this will be good for everyone, but it is what I depend
>>> upon!
>>>
>>> 1. ZoneAlarm Security Suite (latest version 6.0.631.003)
>>> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
>>>
>>> 2. PopUpCop
>>> http://www.popupcop.com/
>>>
>>> 3. Ad-Aware SE Professional ver 1.06
>>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>>>
>>> 4. SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.04
>>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>>>
>>> 5. Microsoft Anti Spyware beta ver 1.0.615
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>>>
>>> It has been so long since I have even seen a popup that I forget what
>>> they
>>> look like. I have not had a virus - SpyWare - Trojan infection (that
>>> caused
>>> me more than 2 minutes of scan time) in over a year.
>>
>> Richard - thanks for posting links to the vendors sites - unlike someone
>> else that pirates their software for his own personal site and then
>> gives the vendors no credit for it.
>>
>> --
>>
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

That is neither defaming nor harassing, but very sound computer practice.

I would NEVER download a program file , that is publicly available from the
program developer, from an individual's own personal website.

Don Burnette

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Stop defaming and harassing me.
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:Olp1kYpqFHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> I would never obtain software from anyone but the original vendor,
>> and I certainly would not want anyone else to be taken in by a
>> doctored version. I know who you are talking about! (-:
>>
>> You can't even browse his web site without an unidentified activex
>> control wanting to be installed on your computer. Damned if I will
>> allow that from the fellow in question.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>>> In article <#iM#B8nqFHA.4076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
>>> richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...

>>> Richard - thanks for posting links to the vendors sites - unlike
>>> someone else that pirates their software for his own personal site
>>> and then gives the vendors no credit for it.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>>> remove 999 in order to email me

You don't like it, take your own advice to others. Don't read it. Or even
better, GO AWAY.

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> Stop defaming and harassing me.

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:Olp1kYpqFHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>I would never obtain software from anyone but the original vendor, and I
>>certainly would not want anyone else to be taken in by a doctored version.
>>
>> I know who you are talking about! (-:
>>
>> You can't even browse his web site without an unidentified activex
>> control wanting to be installed on your computer. Damned if I will allow
>> that from the fellow in question.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>>> In article <#iM#B8nqFHA.4076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
>>> richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...

>>> Richard - thanks for posting links to the vendors sites - unlike someone
>>> else that pirates their software for his own personal site and then
>>> gives the vendors no credit for it.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>>> remove 999 in order to email me

Where did I mention your name? Do you fit in the general category of the
un-named person?

From: "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com>

| Where did I mention your name? Do you fit in the general category of the
| un-named person?
|
| --
| Regards,
|
| Richard Urban
| Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

You didn't Richard. I find it interesting that he jumped right into the fray. Sort of self
incrimination.

Fascinating !

--

In article <JrOPe.9002$A%1.8932@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Stop defaming and harassing me.

Defamation and harassing means that I would be pointing out an untruth
and following you around. In your case, you posted the links to your
site with unauthorised copies of files in a violation of the vendors
distribution rules (which you ignored and are very clear on the vendors
sites) and all I've done is mention it in threads that I'm involved
with.

If you stop doing unethical things and provide links to the VENDORS SITE
instead of your own site (against the vendors rules) you would not have
any issues.

Since you've not been on the net very long, you should understand that
anyone downloading files from unverified sources should strongly be
warned about it - especially when those files are available directly
from the vendors site.

Stop filching files and not giving the vendor credit, stop posting links
to your own site where you've violated the vendors download rules, and
I'll stop bringing it up.

Only an unethical person would continue to do that.

Maybe you should consider this:

Why are you bothering to download the files, copy them to your website,
not provide a webpage showing the vendors information or their required
information, when all you really need to do it create a small webpage
with LINKS to the vendors sites where people can see that they are not
getting a hacked version (not implying that you hacked their software)
without any questions about it.

I've seen many others post responses with the same vendors software in
them, but they respect the community, respect the vendors rules, and
they are links to the VENDORS SITES, not their personal sites.

Truth, like it or not, is not defamation.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Your problem is that you refused to believe me. I don't care about you or
what you think. The MVP's on the other hand posts with their real name and
are easy to find for subpoenas. I can prove defamation and harassment
because I have the proof about my site and my licenses and the vendors, and
I don't have to show them to you. I also have proof that nobody's system has
been ruined because they send me thank you notes. The MVP's on the other
hand have to prove what they say but they can't. In order to prove
defamation one has to prove that what was said is untrue, I have that proof.
The harassment is easy because I am not talking to them but they respond to
me.

> In article <JrOPe.9002$A%1.8932@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
> @seedsv.com says...
>> Stop defaming and harassing me.
>
> Defamation and harassing means that I would be pointing out an untruth
> and following you around. In your case, you posted the links to your
> site with unauthorised copies of files in a violation of the vendors
> distribution rules (which you ignored and are very clear on the vendors
> sites) and all I've done is mention it in threads that I'm involved
> with.
>
> If you stop doing unethical things and provide links to the VENDORS SITE
> instead of your own site (against the vendors rules) you would not have
> any issues.
>
> Since you've not been on the net very long, you should understand that
> anyone downloading files from unverified sources should strongly be
> warned about it - especially when those files are available directly
> from the vendors site.
>
> Stop filching files and not giving the vendor credit, stop posting links
> to your own site where you've violated the vendors download rules, and
> I'll stop bringing it up.
>
> Only an unethical person would continue to do that.
>
> Maybe you should consider this:
>
> Why are you bothering to download the files, copy them to your website,
> not provide a webpage showing the vendors information or their required
> information, when all you really need to do it create a small webpage
> with LINKS to the vendors sites where people can see that they are not
> getting a hacked version (not implying that you hacked their software)
> without any questions about it.
>
> I've seen many others post responses with the same vendors software in
> them, but they respect the community, respect the vendors rules, and
> they are links to the VENDORS SITES, not their personal sites.
>
> Truth, like it or not, is not defamation.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

We'll see about that.
--
~PA Bear

In article <2DPPe.9008$A%1.3812@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Your problem is that you refused to believe me. I don't care about you or
> what you think. The MVP's on the other hand posts with their real name and
> are easy to find for subpoenas. I can prove defamation and harassment
> because I have the proof about my site and my licenses and the vendors, and
> I don't have to show them to you. I also have proof that nobody's system has
> been ruined because they send me thank you notes. The MVP's on the other
> hand have to prove what they say but they can't. In order to prove
> defamation one has to prove that what was said is untrue, I have that proof.
> The harassment is easy because I am not talking to them but they respond to
> me.

You can't prove jack - as nothing I've said is incorrect - I even posted
the email from SBS&D where the seem to indicate they never gave you
permission. They certainly didn't know about your site.

If you have "Proof" that all of the vendors have provide you with
permission, post it - the entire thing would have ended if you had
posted it - I've asked more than once and you've ignored it, giving even
more reason to believe you don't have it.

List the vendors contact name/date of each vendor that specifically gave
you permission to host the files against the published rules they list
for mirrors on their own sites.

--

In article <NhQPe.223$sP7.0@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Subject: Re: Anti-Virus Software and Firewall
> From: pcbutts1 <pcbutts1@seedsv.com>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>
> Stop defaming and harassing me.

No one is defaming you and we're only posting vendor links instead of
the possibly hacked ones you post - notice I said possibly hacked as
your site does not follow the vendors methods for being a mirror (and at
least two vendors had never seen your site before).

You want it to go away? Prove we're wrong - post the information about
your authorization to host those files:

Vendor Name:
Vendor Contact Person:
Date of permission:
Method of mirroring files:

Come on, now's your change to show that I, specifically, didn't
understand what the vendors replied in their emails about you hosting
their files - and about the mirror/hosting information requirements on
their websites.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Here's how I address typical XP user security while the user is on the
internet.
SP2 from the git go.
Setup a user logon for all those using the internet.
Zone Alarm Pro for the firewall. It has a bug finder too.
NAV 2004.
Trend Micro AntiSpyware.
AdSubtract Pro.
Mailwasher Pro.
Get all the windows updates subsequent to SP2, and install them as
administrator.
Deny usage of CD/burner hardware to suspect users via XP as administrator..

I find it easier to start from a new install of XP, rather than contend with
garbage that always doesn't get immediately detected and removed by
afterthought software.

Stay away from nude sites, gambling sites, lure sites etc, etc, etc.
Entertainment should be local, not on the internet. Want to communicate,
send an email. Stay away from any chat. Disable windows messenger from the
git-go. Check with ctrl-alt-del to see if its running (msmsgs).
If remote assistance is enabled, disable it.

If you have suspect users, enable the system password in the bios setup.
This will prevent booting of the hard drive until the password is entered.
There's a backdoor to the default system administrator at windows boot time
in Home Edition, and this requires no password.

"DRTP" <DRTP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> I have a computer with Windows XP Home. But I seem to have an inordinant
> amount of problems with viruses and pop ups despite having Norton Internet
> Security installed.
>
> If you can recommend an anti-virus and firewall solution which in your
> experience has been more robust at protecting your computers please let me
> know.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> DRTP

map

Hey Butt, why do you believe that it was you they are talking about? No
names were mentioned.

--
Mike Pawlak

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Stop defaming and harassing me.
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:Olp1kYpqFHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> I would never obtain software from anyone but the original vendor,
>> and I certainly would not want anyone else to be taken in by a
>> doctored version.
>>
>> I know who you are talking about! (-:
>>
>> You can't even browse his web site without an unidentified activex
>> control wanting to be installed on your computer. Damned if I will
>> allow that from the fellow in question.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>>> In article <#iM#B8nqFHA.4076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
>>> richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

>>> Richard - thanks for posting links to the vendors sites - unlike
>>> someone else that pirates their software for his own personal site
>>> and then gives the vendors no credit for it.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>>> remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos, can you site the newsgroup, thread subject and date where you
posted this, please? A link to the post in Google Groups would be fine.

Thanks.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

<snip>