Status
Not open for further replies.

bondname

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hi everyone,

Maybe someone can help me. When I connect my DVD player or freeview to my LG LCD using an HDMI cable I cannot get the sound out to my sound system. Although when I use a scart cable it works, as I also have a scart adapter to the white and red cables to get the sound out. Is there any adapter that I need to buy? Any suggestion about what may be the problem?

Thanks!!
Frank

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
if the audio is forced to use hdmi or digital or analog only.. not two at the same time.. then yes, you are forced to use something other than hdmi.
the three rca cords work, but maybe your television works better with hdmi.

it is the way it is.

if your television works better with hdmi, and you want to use hdmi for video.. then YES, these adaptors do exist.
for proof that they exist, see the link below:
http://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Digital-Converter-Decoder-Optical/dp/B004OOL3XG

you dont want the one in the link though, for two reasons:
1. it is only hdmi version 1.3
2. because it suggests a room with rounded corners (and one might think rounded corners, or bass traps, is being suggested.. and truthfully they are harmful when dolby and dts is trying to work... if you want to put something on the walls for audio, all you want is to lower the impulse response reflections amplitude)

dolby and dts rely completely on the reflections, not the room echo.. but since we are so young with the surround sound formats, i wouldnt be suprised if room echos are compensated for.
they shouldnt be doing it though, because not all rooms have the same decay times or frequencies.

so.. to lower the decay times is perfect, to lower the frequencies .. just use an equalizer or reverb.
bass traps create room nulls.
a room null is the situation where the soundwave simply cannot propogate (also known as balloon or swell)

typically, dolby or dts will use the corners to create the room filling sound.. in fact, they depend on the corners to be there.
to say you have bass traps and reverb calibrated for the room.. that does not mean your timings for the reverb match the dolby or dts timings.
cant use a gear with another gear when they dont fit with eachother.

so all you people with custom built walls and roofs for a premium listening room.. you need your reverb installed and dialed in to match dolby and dts timings.
your decay times will still be low, but the room is designed to expell the waste out somewhere it wont be heard.
dolby and dts depend on the waste to be there too.

you didnt get ripped off for stereo listening.. but when it comes to digital sound processing, your room is now the biggest nightmare.

there are algorithms on a per wall basis..!
four wall algorithms work with square or rectangle rooms, as the algorithms are squared to fit with anything of four walls.

next comes rooms in the shape of a stop sign.
8 wall algorithms work with large or small rooms, as the algorithms are squared to the time domain, not the distance domain.
meaning the only thing that matters is either the BL of the speaker, or the digital processing to compensate for the distance (anyways, these are supposed to be receiver implemented for speaker to listening position).

all of this to create a space of any size that is a blank and empty palatte for the sound to simply press play and work.
your room should be enclosed without a doorway, because programming a receiver to tell the receiver where the door is, well that is just too much.. and your professional installer would need to put in a patch to compensate for the open doorway.

it is all about negative attack, and if your room is designed to expell the access, the whole thing will need some positive attack.. up to the point where dolby and dts work again.
so your room will have a decay time needed for the surround sound effects to function.
see, the problem is.. people take this granted advice and build their rooms weird ways to save on expenses of the sound absorbing panels.
a 3d sound that should sit and stay will actually travel towards the exit.
the calibrated patch is going to be highly complex to keep that noise from moving, as it was intended to be heard.

and while this information is a bit off-topic to splitting the digital audio from the hdmi cord.. the information is priceless, as it is what you need to take you to the top of the audio industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.