Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need user-repair assistance for Samsung Sync-Master 953bw

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 2, 2010 10:56:34 AM

Hey all,

I have picked up a free 19" Samsung SyncMaster 953bw from a mate because he claims it is broken. He has since bought a 23" and has no use for it. I beg to differ.
The problem is that when you power the monitor up, you only get an image for a couple of seconds before the monitor powers down into "powersaving mode". After that, there is no way of getting the image back and none of the buttons are responive. The only way to fix this is to restart the monitor.
I believe it is a capacitor and the following article shows the same problem and gives a fix: http://www.fixya.com/support/t3024155-samsung_syncmaste...
The problem is, it does not show exactly how to open the screen or any of the specific details of what to move.

Any help would be appreciated otherwise I will try and snap the thing open with a screwdriver as the site suggests.

Cheers,
Klosteral

Best solution

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b Ô Samsung
August 2, 2010 1:22:34 PM

The usual fault with flatscreens is capacitors on the power supply board.

Faulty ones often bulge or leak (but not always). Replacements are cheap from your local electronics hobby store which will also sell you a soldering iron and solder removal hand-pump.

To get in run a penknife blade around the join on the screen surround edge until you locate the internal clips. Hold the gap open with a thin bladed screwdriver while you find the rest. Doesn't do the case cosmetics a lot of good -- but hey it was free.

I've fixed three different flatscreens following this formula.
August 4, 2010 10:15:43 AM

Sweet! I was wondering about the clips but a pocketknife-size blade should do it. If I just take the "dead" capacators with me to the electronic store can give me what I need? Also, I have soldered electronics boards together before but how do I remove that solder (never had to before).
That first answer was really awesome,

Cheers,
Klosteral
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b Ô Samsung
August 4, 2010 12:39:14 PM

Solder removal hand-pump is all you need -- they cost around $10 and save damaging the board.

The procedure is: make a rough diagram of the board showing where the capacitors of what values are located (usually the board will indicate polarity but note this if not). Then heat the underside of the component's pins until the solder shines or flows and suck it out with the pump. Then waggle the component gently to break any remaining solder links and pull out the component.

As you say, take the removed capacitors to the retailer and make sure the new ones are the same values -- though higher slightly higher voltage and temp tolerance are a good thing.
m
l
August 5, 2010 10:27:31 AM

Sweet, cheers man!
m
l
August 5, 2010 10:28:13 AM

Best answer selected by Klosteral.
m
l
!