Age Of Mythology!!!

Hi!!!

I have a PC with Windows XP Professional. I define 4 users + 1
Administrator built-in. I just installed AOM with Administrator account.
When i try to start AOM with any user account I receive an error message
like: "You cannot start AOM. You must have administrative permission to
start it".

Can I work around this problem?

Many thanks!!!

Hi Enry!!! ;-)

Some games will work with limited accounts after they have been installed and
run once either using an administrator account, or by temporarily changing the
limited user account(s) to an admin account in Control Panel / User Accounts,
just for the purpose of running the game the first time in order to be able to
install the necessary files and create the keys in the registry that it needs to
function, but may not be able to due to the restrictive nature of limited accounts.

If that mouthful doesn't resolve the issue, use the "Run As.." command instead:

1. Click Start / Control Panel / User Accounts / Create a New Account /
Name the Account: "able2play" (without quotes) / Next Pick: "Computer-
Administrator" & Click "Create Account";

2. Click on your new able2play account and Create a Password for it;

3. When your limited user wants to play a game that requires Administrator
privileges they can Right-Click the shortcut to that game / Click Run As... /
"The Following User": able2play and enter the password. Simple as that!

I know what you're thinking: That defeats the purpose of the limited user account.
To secure the "able2play" account so that it can't be used to logon to the computer:

First you can hide the account so that it won't show up on the Welcome Screen:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_hide_users.htm (thanks Doug!)

Next add a shortcut to the windows logoff routine into the RUN key of the
able2play registry. I made a reg patch to simplify this process if you wish to use it:

4. Logon to the "able2play" account,

5. <ONLY RUN THIS PATCH USING THE "ABLE2PLAY" ACCOUNT>
Save this patch to your drive and then doubleclick it to install it to your registry.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/OnlyRunUsingAble2PlayAccount.reg

or

*Instead of using the reg patch, click Start / Run / regedt32 / browse to:
[HKCU\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] and
Click Edit / New / String value / ValueName: logoff / Value data: logoff

From now on, if anyone logs on with the "able2play" account, the computer will log
them off immediately. They will not gain access to an administrators desktop! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"enry" <*-mole@libero.it> wrote in message news:OrTZAOTwEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| Hi!!!
|
| I have a PC with Windows XP Professional. I define 4 users + 1
| Administrator built-in. I just installed AOM with Administrator account.
| When i try to start AOM with any user account I receive an error message
| like: "You cannot start AOM. You must have administrative permission to
| start it".
|
| Can I work around this problem?
|
| Many thanks!!!

You're most welcome! :)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

enry wrote:

> Hi!!!
>
> I have a PC with Windows XP Professional. I define 4 users + 1
> Administrator built-in. I just installed AOM with Administrator account.
> When i try to start AOM with any user account I receive an error message
> like: "You cannot start AOM. You must have administrative permission to
> start it".
>
> Can I work around this problem?
>
> Many thanks!!!

AOM does not support running the game from Non-Administrator Accounts.
If you get the Titans expansion you should be able to do that.

Hi Jimmy!

O.K.!
I modify the user account from limited profile to Administrator of
computer and follow your advices, but it still doesn't work! If I want
to be able to run it I must install MSXML 4.0 and after then it work right!
I follow the five steps to create one administrative account and limit
it by using "regedit" console. Now AOM does work well and the user have
limited account, but I have two questions for you:
If one limited user try to access the computer by using the account
able2play and push immediatly shift key, what happen? (I think they have
full access to computer)
Another scenario: during the start-up of computer, one limited user push
the F8 key and boot the computer in safe mode and then try to access by
using able2play account. In this case what is the result of operation?

Best Regards.

Enry.