3 or 2,8 ghz

G

I'm gonna buy a new comp soon and I would like to know if it is worth going for a p4 3,0 ghz for the price it is at...

3 ghz : 595$ (CDN)
2,8 ghz : 425$ (CDN)

I also would like what kind of overclocking I could expect with a Thermaltake III V1000D and an ASUS P4P800 ....

Thank you in advance :p

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
If you're going to overclock then either get the 2.4C or 2.6C because those two have much more room for overclocking than the 2.8/3.0 . Plus you'll save quite a bit of money.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF
Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 GAT Auto
Corsair XMS 512MB TwinX3200C2 2-3-3-6
GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB
Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Even if you wanted to remain at stock speeds on your CPU a Pentium 2.4C or 2.6 would <i> still </i> be a much better value than a 3.0 or 2.8 GHz. A General rule: If you want a pretty good value on your CPU go at least 3 or 4 models below the Flagship in the CPU series your searching for.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I like your username. Oh, by the way if for some reason you feel that you <i> must </i> get one of the models that you suggested, I would go for the P4 2.8. You won't notice any real-world diffference in performance and you'll be saving $170 (CDN) and get practically the exact same performance.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

G

Nah , I can't wait anymore ... so no price drop for me :S
If i get a 2.6c can some1 tell me how to OC it? ( In a PM or e-mail ) Cuz I would like to OC it at 3ghz right away but im quite a noob at this.... can some1 tell me what to do so i dont fry my investments?

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
NEVER OVERCLOCK TO 3GHZ IMMEDIATLY FROM 2.6GHZ! Don't even think about it. Take it smalls steps at a time. First burn in your computer at the stock speeds for about a day running 3D mark 2001, 2003 and even that Pi program if you can still find it. Take small steps of a few mhz there after making sure everything is stable and heat is at the minimum.
Good advice is to practice a little bit on your current computer with first the Video card using a program like NVtuner just to understand the basics of it and the performance increase part of it plus you can tell if you did it too much when you start seeing artifacts (normally.) You must also take that in small steps.

Start another thread about overclocking P4's because you can find a lot of first hand experiences with the p4's and any more advice that may prove invaluable.
Only the fool goes rushing in.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
NEVER OVERCLOCK TO 3GHZ IMMEDIATLY FROM 2.6GHZ! Don't even think about it. Take it smalls steps at a time. First burn in your computer at the stock speeds for about a day running 3D mark 2001, 2003 and even that Pi program if you can still find it. Take small steps of a few mhz there after making sure everything is stable and heat is at the minimum.
Good advice is to practice a little bit on your current computer with first the Video card using a program like NVtuner just to understand the basics of it and the performance increase part of it plus you can tell if you did it too much when you start seeing artifacts (normally.) You must also take that in small steps.

Start another thread about overclocking P4's because you can find a lot of first hand experiences with the p4's and any more advice that may prove invaluable.
Only the fool goes rushing in.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

G

Talking about overclocking, I tried that today , and I almost messed up my whole computer....

See I wanted to take my GPU mem frequency to 290 up from 274 ( Radeon 9000 pro ). So I did just that, with a program called ... er .... well I don't remember . The point is that I fu**ed up big time. No game graphics would come up ok. so I got defaults settings back but still couldn't get any graphics right....

So I uninstalled my whole ATI CAtalyst thing to reinstall it. But that created another problem. When I used to boot something like this appeared on the screen :

Booting from floppy.... Not found
Booting from CD-ROM .... Not Found
Booting from IDE-O ..... OK

But now when I boot it only shows floppy an IDE-O , CD-ROM has dissapeared ....

At the same time my comp became bullshit....

I can't even play RTCW single-player with 60 - 80 FPS , now I can barely hit 10 ....

See if im gonna f**k up like this with my other computer , I'll forget the 2,6 ghz and by a 3 ghz.

I remain fascinated by overclocking I would only like someone to explain the basics to me :'(