pecloe

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2005

Good afternoon everyone
I have a 2 year old laptop. The internal drive has been making a dreadful
noise and thats why I bought a new computer. My plan was to replace the
drive so I'll have a good backup machine. How much can a 40gb drive
cost...from the vendor $400. Any ideas ?
Thank you

pecloe <pecloe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Good afternoon everyone
>I have a 2 year old laptop. The internal drive has been making a dreadful
>noise and thats why I bought a new computer. My plan was to replace the
>drive so I'll have a good backup machine. How much can a 40gb drive
>cost...from the vendor $400. Any ideas ?
>Thank you

Notebook drives are pretty standard and replacing them is usually
quite simple, although I have seen a couple of models where it did
require a major dismantling of the machine.

Check the user documentation for your laptop for instructions on
removing the hard drive, or post the make and model back here.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

pecloe

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2005

Thank you both!

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> pecloe <pecloe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Good afternoon everyone
> >I have a 2 year old laptop. The internal drive has been making a dreadful
> >noise and thats why I bought a new computer. My plan was to replace the
> >drive so I'll have a good backup machine. How much can a 40gb drive
> >cost...from the vendor $400. Any ideas ?
> >Thank you
>
> Notebook drives are pretty standard and replacing them is usually
> quite simple, although I have seen a couple of models where it did
> require a major dismantling of the machine.
>
> Check the user documentation for your laptop for instructions on
> removing the hard drive, or post the make and model back here.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

fred

There is no need to purchase a replacement drive directly from the vendor.
You can get 40gb notebook drives for around $70US.

"pecloe" <pecloe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good afternoon everyone
> I have a 2 year old laptop. The internal drive has been making a dreadful
> noise and thats why I bought a new computer. My plan was to replace the
> drive so I'll have a good backup machine. How much can a 40gb drive
> cost...from the vendor $400. Any ideas ?
> Thank you

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:04:02 -0700, pecloe
<pecloe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Good afternoon everyone
>I have a 2 year old laptop. The internal drive has been making a dreadful
>noise and thats why I bought a new computer. My plan was to replace the
>drive so I'll have a good backup machine. How much can a 40gb drive
>cost...from the vendor $400. Any ideas ?

Internal drives for laptops are monstrously expensive because they
have only one source. But $10 a GB is ridiculous even so. You might
do some research and see if there's a third-party equivalent.

Alternatively, buy an external drive -- street prices are about a
buck a GB or about $1.50 a GB for "portable" drives (meant to travel
with you rather than sit on your desktop). The benefit is that when
your laptop does go south you'll have all your data already on a
nice new drive.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 01:14:33 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>Internal drives for laptops are monstrously expensive because they
>have only one source.

I believed this was true when I wrote it, but later I saw another
post that disagrees.

As owner of a laptop myself, I'm glad I was wrong. :)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

David

>> Notebook drives are pretty standard and replacing them is usually
>> quite simple, although I have seen a couple of models where it did
>> require a major dismantling of the machine.

I managed to change a drive in a Sony Viao when I was on vacation using only a Swiss Army Knife, really! I also changed
one in a Toshiba, that time with a couple of screwdrivers. No problem in either case. I bought an 80Gig drive for about
$100. Look at http://www.pricewatch.com/. Of course if you're not in The States it'll be another problem.

David