Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disk usage

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:29:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My portable PC has a 20 GB HDD. If I sum up all files and folders I end up
at about 5 GB of disk usage. The disk shows however about 12 GB of used
space. After defragmentation I get about 7 GB (estimated) remaining
fragmanted files which apparently can not be defragmented. Somebody knows
what is causing this? I recently "repair installed" the XPSP2 OS
succesfully. Could this cause this strange situation? Thanks for any advise.

More about : disk usage

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:29:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When you say "Sum Up" are you using Windows Explorer to tally up
the content ? To see 100% of the content you need to modify the View
options to the following:
Show Hidden Files and Folders (Checked)
Hide extensions for Known File Types (Unchecked)
Hide protected operating System Files (Unchecked)
Open Explorer, Click Tools, Folder Options, View (TAB) scroll to the
Category "Hidden Files and Folders".

Size on disk will always be greater than the simple size value due to
cluster "Slack Space" (Small files in a cluster leave empty space - so if
you have a 1 Kbyte file in a 4 Kbyte cluster 3 Kbytes will be empty)

If you believe the size reported is incorrect, do a cursory Chkdsk X: on
the drive. If errors are detected it will recommend a more comprehensive
Chkdsk with the /F (Fix) qualifier - However, Do not do a /F unless the
drive's content is backed up.
Chkdsk can be done from a Command Prompt
Click Start, Run (Type) Cmd [Enter]

"Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
news:o E26wOmqFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> My portable PC has a 20 GB HDD. If I sum up all files and folders I end up
> at about 5 GB of disk usage. The disk shows however about 12 GB of used
> space. After defragmentation I get about 7 GB (estimated) remaining
> fragmanted files which apparently can not be defragmented. Somebody knows
> what is causing this? I recently "repair installed" the XPSP2 OS
> succesfully. Could this cause this strange situation? Thanks for any
> advise.
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:47:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Andre De Clercq Wrote:
> My portable PC has a 20 GB HDD. If I sum up all files and folders I end
> up
> at about 5 GB of disk usage. The disk shows however about 12 GB of
> used
> space. After defragmentation I get about 7 GB (estimated) remaining
> fragmanted files which apparently can not be defragmented. Somebody
> knows
> what is causing this? I recently "repair installed" the XPSP2 OS
> succesfully. Could this cause this strange situation? Thanks for any
> advise.

Have you selected to view hidden and system files? Go to My Computer
and click on Tools/Folder Options/View. Select "Show Hidden Files and
Folders" and unselect "Hide Protecteg Operating system files". This
should solve your problem.

Cheers


--
jackisback
Related resources
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:46:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

IT MIGHT BE THE CASE THAT UR OS USES SPACE WHEN U HAVE TURNED SYSTEM
RESTORE OPTION ON FOR EVERY DRIVE ON UR HDD. TO VIEW THIS DO THIS
->CLICK "START " BUTTON .
->RIGHT CLICK "MY COMPUTER" AND SELECT "PROPERTY"
->ON TAB "SYSTEM RESTORE" U CAN SEE AVAILABLE DRIVES AND SPACE RESERVED ON
EACH. U CAN REDUCE OR TURN OFF ON EACH DRIVE OR DRIVES U LIKES.

SYSTEM RESTORE TAKE MORE SPACE.
"Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
news:o E26wOmqFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> My portable PC has a 20 GB HDD. If I sum up all files and folders I end up
> at about 5 GB of disk usage. The disk shows however about 12 GB of used
> space. After defragmentation I get about 7 GB (estimated) remaining
> fragmanted files which apparently can not be defragmented. Somebody knows
> what is causing this? I recently "repair installed" the XPSP2 OS
> succesfully. Could this cause this strange situation? Thanks for any
advise.
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:32:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

IT MIGHT BE THE CASE THAT UR OS USES SPACE WHEN U HAVE TURNED SYSTEM
RESTORE OPTION ON FOR EVERY DRIVE ON UR HDD. TO VIEW THIS DO THIS
->CLICK "START " BUTTON .
->RIGHT CLICK "MY COMPUTER" AND SELECT "PROPERTY"
->ON TAB "SYSTEM RESTORE" U CAN SEE AVAILABLE DRIVES AND SPACE RESERVED ON
EACH. U CAN REDUCE OR TURN OFF ON EACH DRIVE OR DRIVES U LIKES.

SYSTEM RESTORE TAKE MORE SPACE.
"Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
news:o E26wOmqFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> My portable PC has a 20 GB HDD. If I sum up all files and folders I end up
> at about 5 GB of disk usage. The disk shows however about 12 GB of used
> space. After defragmentation I get about 7 GB (estimated) remaining
> fragmanted files which apparently can not be defragmented. Somebody knows
> what is causing this? I recently "repair installed" the XPSP2 OS
> succesfully. Could this cause this strange situation? Thanks for any
advise.
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 5:17:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It's not just the sum of files and folders, the operating system needs some
room to play with, if you use hibernate that sets aside some room also.
Sounds about right to me. You can delete any tmp files if you like, but
it's kind of like emptying the ash tray to make the car lighter.
<all caps post snipped>

> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
> news:o E26wOmqFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> My portable PC has a 20 GB HDD. If I sum up all files and folders I end
>> up
>> at about 5 GB of disk usage. The disk shows however about 12 GB of used
>> space. After defragmentation I get about 7 GB (estimated) remaining
>> fragmanted files which apparently can not be defragmented. Somebody knows
>> what is causing this? I recently "repair installed" the XPSP2 OS
>> succesfully. Could this cause this strange situation? Thanks for any
> advise.
>>
>>
>
>
>
!