17 inch bright screen.. any recommendations

Ryan

I am looking at a HP 17 inch screen laptop with 3.2 ghz, 512, 64
video, 80 gig at 4200....

what do you all think about that configuration at 1899?

any other suggestions? I want a 17 inch screen with the new bright
screens... are there any other players I should look at? Any other
suggestions?

Ryan

Ryan wrote:
> I am looking at a HP 17 inch screen laptop with 3.2 ghz, 512, 64
> video, 80 gig at 4200....
>
> what do you all think about that configuration at 1899?
>
> any other suggestions? I want a 17 inch screen with the new bright
> screens... are there any other players I should look at? Any other
> suggestions?
>
> Ryan

Too little video RAM, and the 4200rpm drive is barely adequate for the
CPU. For the price there should be wireless, dvd RW also. If it made
coffee and cleaned clothes, that would be all the better. The
ultrabright screens are showing up in most all major vendor's offerings
under various names. I believe that you will find better value in the
new Pentium M offerings (and similar performance, reduced weight,
significantly better battery life, perhaps better longevity).

Ryan

> I am looking at a HP 17 inch screen laptop with 3.2 ghz, 512, 64
> > video, 80 gig at 4200....
> >
> > what do you all think about that configuration at 1899?
> >
> > any other suggestions? I want a 17 inch screen with the new bright
> > screens... are there any other players I should look at? Any other
> > suggestions?
> >
> > Ryan

well this laptop has a dvd/cd burner and has wireless capabilities...
can anyone tell me of a better laptop with a bright-technology 17 inch
screen?

obviously i would like something faster then 4200 or 4500.. whatever
it was... but i could live with that and the 64 bit video card i
think... but i dont know... can anyone give me some good advice? Tell
me more about why i should or shouldnt go after this model? Any
comparable products? 17 inch bright screen, dvd burner, and wireless
are a must..

any help?

Highly recommended.

I spent a month doing research on ALL brands of laptop - Apple, IBM, Dell,
Acer, Compaq, Fujitsu, Sony to name a few - HP came out on top.

Dell doesn't offer 17inch screens at a reasonable cost, neither does
Fujitsu. Sony limits you to "Memory Stick" media - I use SD so that's out.
Apple is, well, Apple. I've owned 15 Macs. I couldn't justify another with
what you can do with Windows XP for less $.

I have a Pavilion ZD7260. The ONLY thing you get jumping up one notch to the
7380 is Windows Media Center, a remote control and a TV tuner I believe.
It also has a 5400rpm drive instead of the 4200rpm and 1gb of RAM instead of
512mb.

I was concerned the 4200 rpm drive would be a bottleneck for the work I do:
video editing. NO PROBLEMS to date. The drive throughput has kept up so far
using the Firewire port to take in Digital8 and I don't see major slow downs
in Premiere Pro.

I upped the RAM to 1gb and I recommend that to anyone doing intensive
graphic work.

Something of note: the 7260 and 7380 are the only 17 inch models I know of
to offer SXGA+ screens: 1680 by 1050 native resolution.
If you're working with the Adobe suite or other production applications, the
screen real-estate is vital. I couldn't do what I do on a 1400x900 screen or
"WXGA" which many models offer.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Chris