Folders

August 26, 2005 9:41:07 PM

A small thing but.... when I open Windows Explorer, I get the full window
without frame. I must then click "folder" up top to get the left frame
with the folder tree. How can I set it so Windows Explorer opens with the
frame and the folder tree on the left?

Fred

More about : folders

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:41:08 PM

Open up your Windows Explorer,
then click on the folder button so that the folders directory tree can be
seen on the left.

Then click on Tools -> Folder Options
Then click on the Views tab
and then click on the Apply to all folders button

Then click OK.

Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

"Frederick Cole" <forcex@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>A small thing but.... when I open Windows Explorer, I get the full window
>without frame. I must then click "folder" up top to get the left frame
>with the folder tree. How can I set it so Windows Explorer opens with the
>frame and the folder tree on the left?
>
> Fred

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:41:08 PM

This will create a shortcut to C: with the Folders Pane showing.
Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
Type or copy and paste this in the box:

%windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:

Next | Finish

Or change the Target of your existing shortcut to
%windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
-----

Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853

HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856

HOW TO: Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When Started

HOW TO: Change Windows Explorer Default View to My Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221878

-----

You can also assign a shortcut key to that shortcut.

Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
[[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start
with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the
key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot
use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.

Note
Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you will
not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]

I use Ctrl + Alt + E.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:TuIPe.2628$FW1.1309@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net,
Frederick Cole <forcex@mindspring.com> hunted and pecked:
> A small thing but.... when I open Windows Explorer, I get the full
> window without frame. I must then click "folder" up top to get the left
> frame with the folder tree. How can I set it so Windows Explorer opens
> with the frame and the folder tree on the left?
>
> Fred
August 30, 2005 7:45:49 PM

Very nice.

Thanks,

Fred

> This will create a shortcut to C: with the Folders Pane showing.
> Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
> Type or copy and paste this in the box:
>
> %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
>
> Next | Finish
>
> Or change the Target of your existing shortcut to
> %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
> -----
>
> Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853
>
> HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856
>
> HOW TO: Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When
> Started
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=257518
>
> HOW TO: Change Windows Explorer Default View to My Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221878
>
> -----
>
> You can also assign a shortcut key to that shortcut.
>
> Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
> [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
> start
> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
> the
> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
> cannot
> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.
>
> Note
> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
> will
> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
>
> I use Ctrl + Alt + E.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:TuIPe.2628$FW1.1309@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net,
> Frederick Cole <forcex@mindspring.com> hunted and pecked:
>> A small thing but.... when I open Windows Explorer, I get the full
>> window without frame. I must then click "folder" up top to get the left
>> frame with the folder tree. How can I set it so Windows Explorer opens
>> with the frame and the folder tree on the left?
>>
>> Fred

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:10:46 PM

Keep having fun, Fred. :-)