Folders

A small thing but.... when I open Windows Explorer, I get the full window
without frame. I must then click "folder" up top to get the left frame
with the folder tree. How can I set it so Windows Explorer opens with the
frame and the folder tree on the left?

Fred
4 answers Last reply
More about folders

    Open up your Windows Explorer,
    then click on the folder button so that the folders directory tree can be
    seen on the left.

    Then click on Tools -> Folder Options
    Then click on the Views tab
    and then click on the Apply to all folders button

    Then click OK.

    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

    "Frederick Cole" <forcex@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >A small thing but.... when I open Windows Explorer, I get the full window
    >without frame. I must then click "folder" up top to get the left frame
    >with the folder tree. How can I set it so Windows Explorer opens with the
    >frame and the folder tree on the left?
    >
    > Fred

    This will create a shortcut to C: with the Folders Pane showing.
    Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
    Type or copy and paste this in the box:

    %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:

    Next | Finish

    Or change the Target of your existing shortcut to
    %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
    -----

    Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853

    HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856

    HOW TO: Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When Started

    HOW TO: Change Windows Explorer Default View to My Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221878

    -----

    You can also assign a shortcut key to that shortcut.

    Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
    [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
    want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start
    with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the
    key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot
    use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.

    Note
    Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you will
    not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]

    I use Ctrl + Alt + E.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:TuIPe.2628$FW1.1309@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net,
    Frederick Cole <forcex@mindspring.com> hunted and pecked:
    > A small thing but.... when I open Windows Explorer, I get the full
    > window without frame. I must then click "folder" up top to get the left
    > frame with the folder tree. How can I set it so Windows Explorer opens
    > with the frame and the folder tree on the left?
    >
    > Fred

    Very nice.

    Thanks,

    Fred

    > This will create a shortcut to C: with the Folders Pane showing.
    > Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
    > Type or copy and paste this in the box:
    >
    > %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
    >
    > Next | Finish
    >
    > Or change the Target of your existing shortcut to
    > %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
    > -----
    >
    > Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853
    >
    > HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856
    >
    > HOW TO: Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When
    > Started
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=257518
    >
    > HOW TO: Change Windows Explorer Default View to My Computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221878
    >
    > -----
    >
    > You can also assign a shortcut key to that shortcut.
    >
    > Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
    > [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
    > want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
    > start
    > with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
    > the
    > key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
    > cannot
    > use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.
    >
    > Note
    > Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
    > will
    > not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
    >
    > I use Ctrl + Alt + E.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:TuIPe.2628$FW1.1309@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net,
    > Frederick Cole <forcex@mindspring.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> A small thing but.... when I open Windows Explorer, I get the full
    >> window without frame. I must then click "folder" up top to get the left
    >> frame with the folder tree. How can I set it so Windows Explorer opens
    >> with the frame and the folder tree on the left?
    >>
    >> Fred

    Keep having fun, Fred. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Na%Qe.4102$_84.1009@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net,
    forceten32 <forcex@mindspring.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Very nice.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred

    >> This will create a shortcut to C: with the Folders Pane showing.
    >> Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
    >> Type or copy and paste this in the box:
    >>
    >> %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
    >>
    >> Next | Finish
    >>
    >> Or change the Target of your existing shortcut to
    >> %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
    >> -----
    >>
    >> Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When
    >> Started
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=257518
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Change Windows Explorer Default View to My Computer
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221878
    >>
    >> -----
    >>
    >> You can also assign a shortcut key to that shortcut.
    >>
    >> Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
    >> [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
    >> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
    >> start
    >> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
    >> the
    >> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
    >> cannot
    >> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE
    >> keys.
    >>
    >> Note
    >> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
    >> will
    >> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
    >>
    >> I use Ctrl + Alt + E.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:TuIPe.2628$FW1.1309@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net,
    >> Frederick Cole <forcex@mindspring.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> A small thing but.... when I open Windows Explorer, I get the full
    >>> window without frame. I must then click "folder" up top to get the
    >>> left frame with the folder tree. How can I set it so Windows Explorer
    >>> opens with the frame and the folder tree on the left?
    >>>
    >>> Fred

Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP