USB fuse on Pavilion T660A

I have a Pavilion T660A desktop. Today, I plugged in an external hard
drive, there was a buzz and a whirr, and now there is no power available
on any of the USB2.0 ports.

I suspect a blown fuse. Does anyone know the specs of this fuse? I am
hoping that it is a resetable fuse.

We are still on warranty, so I am unwilling to break the warranty seal
to have a look at the motherboard. On the other hand, my son is
desperate to get back to playing Doom 3.

Can anyone advise?

Mucho appreciato!

--
Typ

On the seventh day, Typhoid wrote...

> I have a Pavilion T660A desktop. Today, I plugged in an external hard
> drive, there was a buzz and a whirr, and now there is no power available
> on any of the USB2.0 ports.
>
> I suspect a blown fuse. Does anyone know the specs of this fuse? I am
> hoping that it is a resetable fuse.
>
> We are still on warranty, so I am unwilling to break the warranty seal
> to have a look at the motherboard. On the other hand, my son is
> desperate to get back to playing Doom 3.
>
> Can anyone advise?

On modern systems, there are none user-serviceable parts, i.e. not even
fuses. You have to use warranty services. Hope your system ist still new
enough for replacement.

HTH

Little Golden Book That Never Made It: All Cats Go to Hell

Typhoid wrote:
> I have a Pavilion T660A desktop. Today, I plugged in an external hard
> drive, there was a buzz and a whirr, and now there is no power available
> on any of the USB2.0 ports.
>
> I suspect a blown fuse. Does anyone know the specs of this fuse? I am
> hoping that it is a resetable fuse.

USB ports come in 100 ma and 500 ma versions, with the 100 ma generally being
limited to laptops and unpowered hubs. They're fused or current-limited on
a per-port basis. The fact that all the ports went out indicates more serious
problems.

I don't think opening up the case to look at the motherboard would invalidate
the warranty, since you need to do that to add PCI cards.

First choice is to get it fixed under warranty, which is a hassle and may result
in your hard disk losing whatever you've loaded. A more expedient approach is
to buy a USB 2.0 card, which are in the $20 range. Before doing anything, check
your Device Manager for any driver problems with USB, since the power to the ports
can be under software control on some hardware.

-Dave

> We are still on warranty, so I am unwilling to break the warranty seal
> to have a look at the motherboard. On the other hand, my son is
> desperate to get back to playing Doom 3.
>
> Can anyone advise?
>
> Mucho appreciato!

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Another option may be to buy a powered USB hub.

craigm

"David Kinsell" <kinsell@poboxyz.com> wrote in message
> Typhoid wrote:
> > I have a Pavilion T660A desktop. Today, I plugged in an external hard
> > drive, there was a buzz and a whirr, and now there is no power available
> > on any of the USB2.0 ports.
> >
> > I suspect a blown fuse. Does anyone know the specs of this fuse? I am
> > hoping that it is a resetable fuse.
>
> USB ports come in 100 ma and 500 ma versions, with the 100 ma generally
being
> limited to laptops and unpowered hubs. They're fused or current-limited
on
> a per-port basis. The fact that all the ports went out indicates more
serious
> problems.
>
> I don't think opening up the case to look at the motherboard would
invalidate
> the warranty, since you need to do that to add PCI cards.
>
> First choice is to get it fixed under warranty, which is a hassle and may
result
> in your hard disk losing whatever you've loaded. A more expedient
approach is
> to buy a USB 2.0 card, which are in the $20 range. Before doing anything,
check
> your Device Manager for any driver problems with USB, since the power to
the ports
> can be under software control on some hardware.
>
> -Dave
>

> > We are still on warranty, so I am unwilling to break the warranty seal
> > to have a look at the motherboard. On the other hand, my son is
> > desperate to get back to playing Doom 3.
> >
> > Can anyone advise?
> >
> > Mucho appreciato!

Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?= wrote...
> On the seventh day, Typhoid wrote...
>
> > I have a Pavilion T660A desktop. Today, I plugged in an external hard
> > drive, there was a buzz and a whirr, and now there is no power available
> > on any of the USB2.0 ports.
> >
> > I suspect a blown fuse. Does anyone know the specs of this fuse? I am
> > hoping that it is a resetable fuse.
> >
> > We are still on warranty, so I am unwilling to break the warranty seal
> > to have a look at the motherboard. On the other hand, my son is
> > desperate to get back to playing Doom 3.
> >
> > Can anyone advise?
>
> On modern systems, there are none user-serviceable parts, i.e. not even
> fuses. You have to use warranty services. Hope your system ist still new
> enough for replacement.
>
> HTH

Thanks for that. I was very tempted to break the warranty seal.

--
Typ

David Kinsell wrote...
> Typhoid wrote:
> > I have a Pavilion T660A desktop. Today, I plugged in an external hard
> > drive, there was a buzz and a whirr, and now there is no power available
> > on any of the USB2.0 ports.
> >
> > I suspect a blown fuse. Does anyone know the specs of this fuse? I am
> > hoping that it is a resetable fuse.
>
> USB ports come in 100 ma and 500 ma versions, with the 100 ma generally being
> limited to laptops and unpowered hubs. They're fused or current-limited on
> a per-port basis. The fact that all the ports went out indicates more serious
> problems.
>
> I don't think opening up the case to look at the motherboard would invalidate
> the warranty, since you need to do that to add PCI cards.
>
> First choice is to get it fixed under warranty, which is a hassle and may result
> in your hard disk losing whatever you've loaded. A more expedient approach is
> to buy a USB 2.0 card, which are in the $20 range. Before doing anything, check
> your Device Manager for any driver problems with USB, since the power to the ports
> can be under software control on some hardware.

Thanks David.

Reloaded the drivers (which were not reporting problems anyway), rolled
back Windows to a restore point then (shock) reloaded Windows from
scratch. No banana.

Speaking to HP customer service, there are no user servicable components
available to fix this problem. It sounds as if the motherboard needs to
be replaced. Luckily the warranty is still valid.

Taking it in on Monday.

--
Typ