Hi, i have a unsecured wireless network. (dont ask why, but i have now put a
password). my question is, the other compouters that are using the internet
via the broadband router, do they use the same IP address as my main computer?

or they get assigned completly diff IP addresses, not even related to my
home comuter.

Does this mean, it is a possiobility that other people have taken advantage
of my internet (by going on questionable sites), and it is linked to my IP
address?

regards

Your broadband router is using an IP address for the
internet most likely assigned by the ISP, such as
24.24.24.24
Your router assigns IP addresses to machines that are
connecting to it- typically 192.168.0.xxx numbers
Any device connecting to the internet will only recognize
the 24.24.24.24 address coming from the router, so
everything they would visit is counted as a visit from your
24. IP address

"Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
:
: or they get assigned completly diff IP addresses, not even
related to my
: home comuter.
:
: Does this mean, it is a possiobility that other people
have taken advantage
: of my internet (by going on questionable sites), and it is
linked to my IP
: address?
:
: regards
:
:

Jim

"Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i have a unsecured wireless network. (dont ask why, but i have now put
> password). my question is, the other compouters that are using the
> internet
> via the broadband router, do they use the same IP address as my main
> computer?
Also, add encryption.
How are you getting your IP address?
If it is obtained from the ISP, then it is most unlikely that another
computer anywhere is using your IP address.
If your IP address is 192.168.x.x, then, as that is not routable, lots of
others can share it, but they cannot communicate with each other.

> or they get assigned completly diff IP addresses, not even related to my
> home comuter.
>
> Does this mean, it is a possiobility that other people have taken
> advantage
> of my internet (by going on questionable sites), and it is linked to my IP
> address?
It is more likely that someone has connected to your unsercured network and
exploited whatever they found on your computer.
Jim

> regards

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The other computers on your network will be assigned a different IP by the
router. If you have put in a password where did you enter it. If it is on
the router setup page it is known as a passkey and you are probably using
WPA-SPK for your security. You also need to hide or disable the router SSID
from being broadcast. You can also restrict the PC's on your network by
allowing only their MAC addresses to be used by the router then it will
reject all other systems that try to connect to your router.

Neil