video editing on 8400 (dvd rw, card etc).

i'm about to buy an 8400 and finally get involved with video editing. i
don't know which dvd-rw unit Dell uses, but since this is such a critical
aspect of the process, i'm leaning towards configuring the machine w/o one
and then installing a Plextor 716sa myself. any reason not to? is there
some advantage in this case to using the Dell unit that i'm not considering?

also, i was about to throw lots of dollars into the best video card offered,
but i'm rethinking that. will i be ok with one of the mid range cards given
i'm not doing any gaming on the machine? or is the video editing process
better/faster/whatever with a top-line card. my feeling is that i'll use
the money saved and put it into a slightly better non-dell monitor. thanks

First, if the primary reason you're buying the computer is for video editing,
you should be looking at video editing/conversion cards first, and then the
computer second. Don't confuse a video editing/conversion card with a video
card, they are different. Go look here for a basic, but very good card:

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-1394/pt_advc-1394.asp

Then you need to make sure the card will work with your computer. Dell's are
notorious for having wierd compatibility problems for video editing cards. I'd
suggest you look at ABS or MPC computers since they use standard on the self
components versus the dumbed down OEM products that Dell uses.

thanks. seems like good advice and i will check out what ABS and MPC offer
(i wasn't married to dell, i've been thinking seriously about a SYSTEMAX
machine thru tigerdirect as well).

that said, the primary reason for a new machine is that i need a new machine
(for all the typical things one does with machines, but not gaming). Video
is just something new i want to play with, but not too seriously..mainly all
home movie stuff. i'd assume a video card will be more than sufficient for
that....or am i totally wrong. again..thanks

"KevinONeil" <kevinoneil@aol.com> wrote in message
> First, if the primary reason you're buying the computer is for video
editing,
> you should be looking at video editing/conversion cards first, and then
the
> computer second. Don't confuse a video editing/conversion card with a
video
> card, they are different. Go look here for a basic, but very good card:
>
> http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-1394/pt_advc-1394.asp
>
> Then you need to make sure the card will work with your computer. Dell's
are
> notorious for having wierd compatibility problems for video editing cards.
I'd
> suggest you look at ABS or MPC computers since they use standard on the
self
> components versus the dumbed down OEM products that Dell uses.

I do video work on my Dimension 2400 and 4550 just fine. I have a variety
of cards I have used, both PCI and USB2, all of which have worked
flawlessly.

The card you suggest is likely overkill.

I'd suggest getting the Audigy 2 sound card to get a firewire port. Then
I'd look at the Pinnacle products. $99 and very powerful.

You don't need a dedicated card anymore, with the processing speed of modern
computers.

Tom
"KevinONeil" <kevinoneil@aol.com> wrote in message
> First, if the primary reason you're buying the computer is for video
> editing,
> you should be looking at video editing/conversion cards first, and then
> the
> computer second. Don't confuse a video editing/conversion card with a
> video
> card, they are different. Go look here for a basic, but very good card:
>
> http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-1394/pt_advc-1394.asp
>
> Then you need to make sure the card will work with your computer. Dell's
> are
> notorious for having wierd compatibility problems for video editing cards.
> I'd
> suggest you look at ABS or MPC computers since they use standard on the
> self
> components versus the dumbed down OEM products that Dell uses.

CompUSA has the Pinnacle Studio AV/DV deluxe package on sale this week
only for $99.99 (after rebates). I picked one up on Wednesday to
install in my 8300. My Dell came with a DVD reader which I've since
replaced with a DVD 16X dual layer writer from Staples($39 after
rebate). Now I'm going to start learning how do this stuff.
Ken

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:32:26 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>I do video work on my Dimension 2400 and 4550 just fine. I have a variety
>of cards I have used, both PCI and USB2, all of which have worked
>flawlessly.
>
>The card you suggest is likely overkill.
>
>I'd suggest getting the Audigy 2 sound card to get a firewire port. Then
>I'd look at the Pinnacle products. $99 and very powerful.
>
>You don't need a dedicated card anymore, with the processing speed of modern
>computers.

I've got a Dell Precision 330 WS with a 32MB DDR Nvidia-GeForce2
GTS graphics card that came with it. I'm using Win2000 Professional
and have installed a Sony DRU 510-A DVD +/-R, +/-RW deck. I've been
using the deck to create backups. There are Firewire ports on the back
side of the PC.
Am I able to play DVD's on this PC system? Can I edit video? (My
Canon digital video camcorder has a DV port and cable to connect to
the PC firewire port.) TIA

"E. E. Herbert" <eherbt@excite.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:32:26 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I do video work on my Dimension 2400 and 4550 just fine. I have a variety
>>of cards I have used, both PCI and USB2, all of which have worked
>>flawlessly.
>>
>>The card you suggest is likely overkill.
>>
>>I'd suggest getting the Audigy 2 sound card to get a firewire port. Then
>>I'd look at the Pinnacle products. $99 and very powerful.
>>
>>You don't need a dedicated card anymore, with the processing speed of
>>modern
>>computers.
>
> I've got a Dell Precision 330 WS with a 32MB DDR Nvidia-GeForce2
> GTS graphics card that came with it. I'm using Win2000 Professional
> and have installed a Sony DRU 510-A DVD +/-R, +/-RW deck. I've been
> using the deck to create backups. There are Firewire ports on the back
> side of the PC.
> Am I able to play DVD's on this PC system? Can I edit video? (My
> Canon digital video camcorder has a DV port and cable to connect to
> the PC firewire port.) TIA

Well, you left out something pretty important. What CPU and what speed?

Gene

Tom Scales wrote:

> > I've got a Dell Precision 330 WS with a 32MB DDR Nvidia-GeForce2
> > GTS graphics card that came with it. I'm using Win2000
Professional
> > and have installed a Sony DRU 510-A DVD +/-R, +/-RW deck. I've been
> > using the deck to create backups. There are Firewire ports on the
back
> > side of the PC.
> > Am I able to play DVD's on this PC system? Can I edit video? (My
> > Canon digital video camcorder has a DV port and cable to connect to
> > the PC firewire port.) TIA
> >

> Well, you left out something pretty important. What CPU and what
speed?

The CPU is a Pentium IV @ 1.7ghz.

Should be OK. Not speedy, but adequate.

Tom