VM or Boot Old Drive

If you were dealing with a desktop I would say that you could do something like that but with a laptop I don't know. You would have to go into the bios and see if the options are there for the Intel Virtualization Technology.
Your best option would be to do the seperate enclosure for the hard drive from the old laptop.

If those programs will work with Windows 7 and Vista then you can use them for that and in Vista you would have to make a system image on a drive other than the old one if your not using the seperate enclosure and at some point the old laptop will run out of power. It would have to be on the new hard drive and you would have to find a way to do that. Windows 7 has an easy transfere option and if you have a double ended usb cable you could transfer from the old laptop to the new one.

daniel_h

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply again. I have a 1TB external HD which can easily hold an image of old HD. I'll see if I can get one of the above apps to create VM and then try to load it on W7. Hope it works. Ill try to post back with results. Won't be getting new laptop for another two weeks, so sit tight. :)

Thanks again.