Help! My Diner hums!

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've done lots of googling on sys 11 speaker hum/buzz but my Diner
seems to have it in the extreme... it's quite loud and annoying. The
humming changes with the volume (gets louder if I turn it up), and is
coming out of all the speakers (panel and cabinet). If I unplug the
speakers at the sound board the humming goes away completely as I
would expect. Grounding braid has continuity all the way around and
sound board is properly grounded.

When the speakers are unplugged the power supply makes a humming sound
that is very much the same "frequency" as the humming from the
speakers so am wondering if that could be the source. I recently
converted it from 220v to 110v, not sure if that could have anything
to do with it, or if perhaps I got the polarity backwards (if such a
thing is possible).

Any ideas?

By all means check to see that all the screws securing all the boards
are there and properly screwed down. This made a huge difference on my
High Speed and a couple of other System 11 machines of mine.

Hope this helps.

Rick Pavelko

something near the game could be causing noise, neon maybe, wall
airconditioner, try plugging into different plug not on same circuit. If
that don't help then could have cap going on sound board.

Trin
"Ben" <pinballben@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've done lots of googling on sys 11 speaker hum/buzz but my Diner
> seems to have it in the extreme... it's quite loud and annoying. The
> humming changes with the volume (gets louder if I turn it up), and is
> coming out of all the speakers (panel and cabinet). If I unplug the
> speakers at the sound board the humming goes away completely as I
> would expect. Grounding braid has continuity all the way around and
> sound board is properly grounded.
>
> When the speakers are unplugged the power supply makes a humming sound
> that is very much the same "frequency" as the humming from the
> speakers so am wondering if that could be the source. I recently
> converted it from 220v to 110v, not sure if that could have anything
> to do with it, or if perhaps I got the polarity backwards (if such a
> thing is possible).
>
> Any ideas?

Must be the food there serving... :) (sorry had to)

Ping

Ben wrote:
> I've done lots of googling on sys 11 speaker hum/buzz but my Diner
> seems to have it in the extreme... it's quite loud and annoying. The
> humming changes with the volume (gets louder if I turn it up), and is
> coming out of all the speakers (panel and cabinet). If I unplug the
> speakers at the sound board the humming goes away completely as I
> would expect. Grounding braid has continuity all the way around and
> sound board is properly grounded.
>
> When the speakers are unplugged the power supply makes a humming sound
> that is very much the same "frequency" as the humming from the
> speakers so am wondering if that could be the source. I recently
> converted it from 220v to 110v, not sure if that could have anything
> to do with it, or if perhaps I got the polarity backwards (if such a
> thing is possible).
>
> Any ideas?

Maybe it doesn't know the words?

--