Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Basics

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2003 5:26:48 AM

Can someone explain to me the basics of overclocking?
All I know is that there are multipliers ( recent knowledge :p  ) and something about voltage too...

Help ... ?

Links to FAQ's and beginners guide would also be appreciated.

More about : overclocking basics

August 26, 2003 6:59:04 AM

As i know,it also includes some settings in the bios.
August 26, 2003 7:46:25 AM

The basics, the multiplier value by your fsb settings gives your processing speed. You can overclock by increasing either of these, intel only allow a fsb increase as their multiplier are set to prevent the sale of overclocked chips. before you play with settings check manual as you may have to set jumpers on motherboard. You shouldn't have to change voltage for a slight overclock, but if you do check with intel or amd websites, and ask around in overclocking forums to get a general limit to your cpu. You will ned extra cooling in this case also. Also some chips o/c better than others so check before buy. But i dont overclock my chips as the life is reduced and the increase is usually not going to make much of a difference , except for those wangers that do benchmarks all day long. From what i've read it is a slow process of slowly increasing your fsb and checking for stability problem. Most people do it in the same way as you or i play a game, amusment purposes only.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!
Related resources
August 26, 2003 2:59:33 PM

Quote:
But i dont overclock my chips as the life is reduced

I don't find it's a good argument, because usually even OVERCLOCKED chips will last long enough. Usually, you will have to change CPU/MB before you will actually burn your overclocked CPU.

For exemple, Athlon's are rated 85 or 90 Celsius... So running them at around under 70 celsius will not degrade their lifetime too much!!!

This was my 2 cents!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?
August 26, 2003 4:24:52 PM

"But i dont overclock my chips as the life is reduced and the increase is usually not going to make much of a difference , except for those wangers that do benchmarks all day long"

I would have to DISAGREE. It makes a HUGE difference. Ever take a 1.47Ghz 1700 athlon up to a 2.25Ghz?? It makes a whole wide world of difference. If you overclock 10Mhz, of course you're not gonna see a difference. If you're not seeing a difference, then you are doing something wrong.

As far as life, CPU's are supposed to like last for 10 years or so right?? I'm pretty sure that the manufacturers make it so that it lasts a very long period of time. But even if a CPU lasts ~5 years, are you gonna keep using your comp for 5 years?? I think not. By that time it will be worth less than my cell phone bill.
August 26, 2003 5:27:44 PM

also remember...that all a tbred 2700+ is, is an overclocked 1700+...same core but diffrent fsb and multi

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
August 26, 2003 5:40:04 PM

I give thanks to AMD for the 1700+ T-bred 'B', every evening before I go to sleep... :smile:

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:
August 26, 2003 5:42:30 PM

Yea, what they do is produce a whole bunch of chips which are generally identicl at the same speed, all chips are slightly different. Then they test em to see what they are good for and basically put a false ceiling on them. Some are almost to their max speed others like the xp1700 have huge o/c potential. All your really doing when o/cing is lifting that so caled false ceiling put on by the manufacturer. Its all a marketing ploy really, if they didn't do it they'd only have a couple of chips and probably a bit more wastagee in the production line. Similar to the new 800mhz mobos for intel, they are identical chipsets but one was tested to be more able to o/c

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!
August 26, 2003 5:50:21 PM

yes exactly...

Amd has refined their manufacturing processes so much...that almost all chips produced are good chips that can run high speeds...

August 26, 2003 9:17:19 PM

Just had to step in here. I was like that a few months ago until I got a bit more educated about overclocking. Now Im running a 2500 @ 2405mhz on only 1.73v! This is what some motherboards feed the cpu at stock voltage, like the asus (1.65 gives 1.7 actual) and my full load temp is 50C! Not quite stable yet as my psu is on its last legs, but already I turned my 2500 into a "3600xp" and with my new psu, it will go even higher on low voltage. :) 

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6884109" target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1150155" target="_new"> 3D-03 </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2003 10:16:34 PM

Well thats one thing I knew too :p 

The bios comes with the mobo , right?

So if i get an ASUS p4p800 with a pentium 4 2,6 ghz @ 800 fsb, can i expect to hit 3 ghz , one day?

I also heard that ASUS mobo's have a built in overclocker ... is that true???
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2003 10:24:06 PM

Overheating aint cool :( 

Should I be ok with a good air cooling system?

I don't want to get into too complicated watre cooling and stuff...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2003 11:56:31 PM

Abit, Albatron, Aopen, Asus, Biostar, Chaintech, DFI, Epox, FIC, Gigabyte, Iwill, Leadtek, MSI, Shuttle, Soltek, Soyo, and a whole bunch of companies I forgot to mention, all support overclocking in BIOS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2003 12:47:54 AM

Thats a good news for overclocking noobs, just like me!

Tell me , is it realistic to hope to achieve 3 ghz from a 2,6 with a Thermaltake III v1000d ?
August 27, 2003 1:03:22 AM

yes

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2003 1:29:03 AM

That's good news for me!

I just saved myself enough money to buy a 9600 pro to change my 9000 pro
!