Updates slows new computer down to ridiculous speed

will7757

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I just bought a new computer that I built myself. I installed windows update and it slowed down so much that it was unusable. What windows updates do I actually need for performance until I figure out what is going on? I need to get back to my gaming.

will7757

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Specs

ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP
Intel Core 3570k
XFX Radeon 9750
PSU Seagate 750 watt
1TB Samsung 7500RPM drive
8 Gig (4 x 2 ) DDR3 ram

I think i has to be. I just did a fresh install and now its super super fast without the updates. Going to try to install motherboard and GPU drivers manually and go from there.

will7757

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Done with motherboard drivers installing Video card drivers now. The PC is running like lightning! Could someone tell me the updates I need to install for only performance? Greatly appreciated thanks!

Well THERE'S your problem! You got rid of whatever malware or virus was causing you issues.

Don't JUST install "performance" updates - most of them are for security. If you leave all those holes open, you'll be back to a slug-like speed within a week.

Hi :)

What AV were you running when you downloaded the updates ?

You realise that without AV it takes MINUTES these days to get infected... ?

Also WHEN YOU DO A FRESH INSTALL you install ALL the hardware/motherboard drivers FIRST , before you put on AV and BEFORE you go on the net and get ALL updates and service packs...

All the best Brett :)

tr2012

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Not sure how you would get infected if all you did was a clean install + drivers then a windows update. Unless of course you went browsing while waiting for the updates or other machines infected with worms on your local LAN.

No browsing required. Simply connecting an unprotected machine to the net will result in compromise within minutes.

tr2012

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Assumption on my part, I took his being behind a NAT box as a given with the almost ubiquitous use of such by ISPs.