Dead Select 1300

In a previous post, we mentioned that the fan turned on but the BIOS didn't
post .... well, now it's a dead system.

Questions: Is this a power supply problem (motherboard has already been
replaced with good capacitors)? Is this an ATX form factor power supply or
completely Gateway proprietary?

Thanks in advance.

The Gateway power supplys snap in with a plastic lever. A standard ATX will
probably physically fit, but there are no screw holes on the back of the
case to screw in a standard power supply.

"A & L" <tpsdoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In a previous post, we mentioned that the fan turned on but the BIOS
> didn't post .... well, now it's a dead system.
>
> Questions: Is this a power supply problem (motherboard has already been
> replaced with good capacitors)? Is this an ATX form factor power supply or
> completely Gateway proprietary?
>
> Thanks in advance.

You don't know whether its a power supply or a mobo failure until testing with
known good components. For example, plug in another power supply and see if the
motherboard works. Or pull the power supply and bench test it with a known good
motherboard.

Regardless of the power supply form factor, it has an ATX power connector.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:38:16 -0800, "A & L" <tpsdoc@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In a previous post, we mentioned that the fan turned on but the BIOS didn't
>post .... well, now it's a dead system.
>
>Questions: Is this a power supply problem (motherboard has already been
>replaced with good capacitors)? Is this an ATX form factor power supply or
>completely Gateway proprietary?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Thanks for everyone's help. It was the power supply ... went to Fry's
Electronics and got a replacement ... was worried about form factor but a
little jury rigging works wonders. Does anyone refurbish old power supplies?

> You don't know whether its a power supply or a mobo failure until testing
> with
> known good components. For example, plug in another power supply and see
> if the
> motherboard works. Or pull the power supply and bench test it with a
> known good
> motherboard.
>
> Regardless of the power supply form factor, it has an ATX power connector.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:38:16 -0800, "A & L" <tpsdoc@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>In a previous post, we mentioned that the fan turned on but the BIOS
>>didn't
>>post .... well, now it's a dead system.
>>
>>Questions: Is this a power supply problem (motherboard has already been
>>replaced with good capacitors)? Is this an ATX form factor power supply or
>>completely Gateway proprietary?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

Old power supplies never die. They just fade away into the landfills. Nobody
ever repairs power supplies any more.

When I recently serviced an IBM Pentium 4 system under warranty, IBM first
overnighted a new power supply. When the replacement power supply did not fix
the problem, they sent a new motherboard. The motherboard had a return shipping
label, but when I asked, the IBM tech support guy said to keep the power supply.
It would have cost IBM more for me to return the power supply than it costs per
power supply to ship a pallet full of them from (where else?) China... Ben Myers