Optical to PC 5.1 (creative ddts-100) workaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

holytrashcan

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
i think i've found a workaround and am just not knowledgeable enough to know for sure if it will work. I've spent weeks trying to find an alternative to the creative ddts-100 decoder as they are close to impossible to find online nowadays, so this might have to do for now.

this is my setup: i have the Logitech X-540 5.1 speaker system which have three 3.5 mm connections as inputs. and for various reasons I want to pass an digital optical (toslink) connection to these speakers, which is where the ddts-100 would've been perfect.

this is the potential workaround: use a standard 5.1 receiver with speaker wire outputs, and one of these for each 3.5 mm connection with the rca-ends of the adapters spliced open so that they can be connected to the speaker wire outputs on the back of the receiver.

would this work? are there issues with the line-level/speaker-level output from the speaker wire (which is amplified by the receiver) being passed to the X-540 (which also has an amplifier). would it be better to simply connect the speakers themselves (which have rca connections) to the receiver?

there's a lot of questions there, but any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.