XP: msconfig Question

Skip

In Windows98, at least in the Win98 TweakUI mode, when you ran msconfig
you could drag the window as necessary to see what was there. ID the
components.

In Win XP-Pro, which I am new to, it looks like the same app, but the
(small) size is fixed, and on some items processes cannot be clearly
identified. Like, right-clicking doesn't give you anything. StartUp
menu for example.

And is this a Dell version WinXP-Pro anomoly, or is it just MS XP-Pro
period?

Is there any way to make this window expand, as it did in Win98 2nd, to
see what's there? Or an alternative app or hack that does this?

Thanks!

Skip

"Skip" wrote:
> In Windows98, at least in the Win98 TweakUI mode, when you ran msconfig
> you could drag the window as necessary to see what was there. ID the
> components.
>
> In Win XP-Pro, which I am new to, it looks like the same app, but the
> (small) size is fixed, and on some items processes cannot be clearly
> identified. Like, right-clicking doesn't give you anything. StartUp
> menu for example.
>
> And is this a Dell version WinXP-Pro anomoly, or is it just MS XP-Pro
> period?
>
> Is there any way to make this window expand, as it did in Win98 2nd, to
> see what's there? Or an alternative app or hack that does this?

For descriptions of services, at least, you can go to
Start/Settings/ControlPanel/AdministrativeTools/Services.

*TimDaniels*

"Skip" <SB9967@cox.net> wrote in message
> In Windows98, at least in the Win98 TweakUI mode, when you ran msconfig
> you could drag the window as necessary to see what was there. ID the
> components.
>
> In Win XP-Pro, which I am new to, it looks like the same app, but the
> (small) size is fixed, and on some items processes cannot be clearly
> identified. Like, right-clicking doesn't give you anything. StartUp
> menu for example.
>
> And is this a Dell version WinXP-Pro anomoly, or is it just MS XP-Pro
> period?
>
> Is there any way to make this window expand, as it did in Win98 2nd, to
> see what's there? Or an alternative app or hack that does this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Skip

There may be an app.or hack out there, but I've not been fortunate to read
of it. This is an 'XP thing' not limited to OEM/factory installs. Let's
hope they fix it in Longhorn.

Stew

if you are talking about the stuff that you find under the 'services' and
'startup' tabs there is something that you can do to get more details...
you can make the columns wider and then scroll left and right to get
complete information. for instance, when in the services tab, position your
cursor in the column heading on the vertical line between 'service' and
'essential' then click and drag the service column to the right to make it
wider. you will notice that the scroll bar on the bottom of the window
changes accordingly and will then allow you to see the full description of
an item. all the column widths are adjustable in this manner.

"Christopher Muto" wrote:
> if you are talking about the stuff that you find under the 'services' and
> 'startup' tabs there is something that you can do to get more details...
> you can make the columns wider and then scroll left and right to get
> complete information. for instance, when in the services tab, position your
> cursor in the column heading on the vertical line between 'service' and
> 'essential' then click and drag the service column to the right to make it
> wider. you will notice that the scroll bar on the bottom of the window
> changes accordingly and will then allow you to see the full description of
> an item. all the column widths are adjustable in this manner.

In *my* WinXP Pro system, there isn't any description where you
describe. Is this perhaps an option settable elsewhere?

*TimDaniels*

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

>"Christopher Muto" wrote:

>> if you are talking about the stuff that you find under the 'services' and
>> 'startup' tabs there is something that you can do to get more details...
>> you can make the columns wider and then scroll left and right to get
>> complete information. for instance, when in the services tab, position your
>> cursor in the column heading on the vertical line between 'service' and
>> 'essential' then click and drag the service column to the right to make it
>> wider. you will notice that the scroll bar on the bottom of the window
>> changes accordingly and will then allow you to see the full description of
>> an item. all the column widths are adjustable in this manner.

> In *my* WinXP Pro system, there isn't any description where you
>describe. Is this perhaps an option settable elsewhere?

He used the words "full description" where he should have used
the words "full name". IOW, if the name of the service was
longer than the column, thus hiding part of it, you can adjust
the column to see the full name of the service.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Skip

Yes, that was what I was talking about. Thanks!

I can see now that by dragging the columns ALL the way over and making
them 'disappear' I can see all that is there. That is helpful as I can
see things now I thought were hidden, in effect.

However, this is a big step backward for XP-Pro, since you could make
things full-screen in W98-2nd if you wanted - it was just nice to be
able to drag a window to see everything at once, not play games by
playing hide-and-seek and scrolling. It's kinda like going back to DOS
2.0 (which once I thought was nice). As in backwards, not forwards.

I notice that in several other XP menus - non-dragable windows in apps
where it would be convienient. Is window-dragging inherently dangerous
or something?

> if you are talking about the stuff that you find under the 'services'
and
> 'startup' tabs there is something that you can do to get more details...
> you can make the columns wider and then scroll left and right to get
> complete information. for instance, when in the services tab, position your
> cursor in the column heading on the vertical line between 'service' and
> 'essential' then click and drag the service column to the right to make it
> wider. you will notice that the scroll bar on the bottom of the window
> changes accordingly and will then allow you to see the full description of
> an item. all the column widths are adjustable in this manner.

Skip

Interesting. Why MS seems to go backwards sometimes. I figure there's
a good reason - I'd hate to think there wasn't, but every now and then I
wonder.