Windows 7 random freeze + crash

Jonez

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hey everyone,

I'm experiencing random freezes and crashes since I've come home from being away for 4 days.

It's windows 7 64-bit.

It simply freezes, I can't use ctrl + alt + delete or anything. I'm forced to shut it off the hard way, and if I don't do that, it'll crash.

I've updated the bios, tried system restore - none of it fixes it. I've also disabled all the startup crap in msconfig, read somewhere that might fix it, but no luck.

All drivers are updated.

I tried installing a new copy of windows, but it froze right when I started that. :b I'm about to try again, it hasn't crashed for a while now.

Specs:

Asrock K10N78
Athlon II x4 @ 2.6 Ghz
8 gb ddr2 ram
1 tb samsung hd
750 W energon PSU
Geforce gtx 260

Thanks in advance!

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
This was happening to me when my PSU was not supplying enough juice to the system, buying a new one did the trick. It might not be that, I suggest trying one from another PC\a friend before buying a new one.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
If it happens in the Safe mode and if it's not the BIOS and you can't install the new Windows, then it sounds to me like a hardware issue.

It could be a cable/wire not seated correctly.

Did you assemble the computer yourself?

Jonez

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
No... I've installed t a new PSU and a new graphics card (gtx 260) myself but that was a couply months ago, and it's been working fine, right until now.

As mentioned, the problem started after I hadn't used the computer for 4 days - I don't know if that has anything to do with it...it shouldn't....

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
The only thing I can think of is a cold start problem.
That's when a chip works fine when warm, but fails to function when cold.

I'd try the RAM first. I assume you have 4x2GB strips.
If that is the case, remove three of the strips.
Can you boot up?
Swap strips until one fails to boot.

If you can't boot with any of the strips, then I would suspect the motherboard.

Jonez

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Ok, I'll try that.

But I don't have any problem booting.. I can get to the desktop, but then it crashes after a while (depends on how long it's been turned off, if it's been off for a long time, it won't crash for about 15 minutes, then it does. If I turn it on right after it's crashed, it crashes again after about 2-3 minutes.)

Jonez

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Ok, I've had someone look at it, and it turns out that the motherboard was f*cked, so I'll have to get a new one.

Thanks everyone for taking time to try and help me.