CPU Compatibility

ruger

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2003
I own a Gigabyte 8IRXP running a P4 1.6Ghz 400 mhz fsb. Socket 478.

I am wondering what is the fastest processor I can put on this board? Does the processor have to be 400mhz fsb?

And how do I know what the fastest memory is that I can run on the board?

Sorry if these are noob questions. I can't seem to locate any answers for what seems like should be something readily avaiable.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No offense, but have you even <i>tried</i> looking for answers?

The first thing that I did was go to <A HREF="http://www.giga-byte.com" target="_new">Gigabyte's website</A> and look up the <A HREF="http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8IRXP.htm" target="_new">GA-8IRXP</A>. From there I also followed the link to the corresponding <A HREF="http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_GA-8IRXP.htm" target="_new">CPU Support List</A>.

And so in less than two minutes I knew that it officially is stuck at a 400MHz FSB, can only run DDR200 and DDR266 speeds, and supports up to a Pentium4 NorthwoodA (400MHz FSB) 2.4GHz.

I can't imagine it being any more readily available than that.

<font color=blue>If you look <font color=purple>The Devil</font color=purple><font color=red>®</font color=red> straight in the eye and only see yourself then you must be standing in front of a mirror.</font color=blue>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
So the original Northwood series owners have a platform that can range only 1.6A to 2.4A. Well that just SUCKS!. I mean Williamette could take up to 2GHz which is still a decent CPU today. Then Intel develops a platform that can clock up to only 400 MHz higher than Williamette! I'm surprised Intel wouldn't let their mobo clock up to 3 GHz just using a lower FSB and a higher multiplier.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Yes, clock per clock, but the Williamete was able to scale higher. Back in the day, a 1900+ wasn't THAT much faster than a 2 GHz Willy. It was a much better buy though. Haven't the fastest clocked Piiis extremely expensive in their day and still even overpriced for people who own a P3 mobo or a BX chipset who want a slcoket adapter upgrade.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, only those with crappy boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your board probably supports a "533" bus through overclocking the board, but that's not always 100% stable (although well over 90% of boards are).

You could try overclocking your 1.6 to 2133MHz. If it's a Northwood that should happen easily, if it's a Willimette you'll have more dificulty.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ruger

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2003
No offense taken. The reason I made the post was about 6 months ago I went to find that information on GigaByte's website and I couldn't find it. But right after making this post I went there and found it. Thanks for looking it up anyhow... heh.

The highest I'd had this thing overclocked to that was stable was about 1.8..
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ruger on 08/27/03 08:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS