Presario 5000 Intermittent (sp) Failure

I have a Presario 5000 that seems to lock up for no apparent reason. The
lock ups occur anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes after booting (when it boots).
List of things I've tried; Removed all unnecessary peripherals, tried
different OSs (98SE and XP), swapped RAM (all PC100), cover removed to
prevent overheating (I work on it in a very cold garage!) POST gives no
indications of errors. POST works, verified by booting w/o RAM installed.
One obvious answer is REPLACE MOBO which is what will happen but this is
getting personal now. Just curious about anyone elses experiences. Any
input would be most appreciated!

hh

There are dozens of PCs in the 5000 series. Which one do you have?
HH

"Rick Shaw" <rikshaw59@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a Presario 5000 that seems to lock up for no apparent reason. The
> lock ups occur anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes after booting (when it
> boots).
> List of things I've tried; Removed all unnecessary peripherals, tried
> different OSs (98SE and XP), swapped RAM (all PC100), cover removed to
> prevent overheating (I work on it in a very cold garage!) POST gives no
> indications of errors. POST works, verified by booting w/o RAM installed.
> One obvious answer is REPLACE MOBO which is what will happen but this is
> getting personal now. Just curious about anyone elses experiences. Any
> input would be most appreciated!

Describe Lock up better.

I bet its overheating or the HD is failing