NAV 2004 Definition file download nuisance

Hello, All! My Norton Antivirus 2004 never `LiveUpdate' the definition
files. Last month downloaded a definitions file from directly Symantec web
site (almost 8mb). By now it is already one month old and I have to download
again the LARGER definition file. I have a slow dial-up connection.

Any solution for this nuisance?

With best regards, Brother Brock. E-mail: Nobodyknows@unknown.com

Update your Live Update from the following:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/2.7/lusetup.exe
(Direct Download Link)

After setup is complete & reboot, Open NAV's interface and
make sure that Automatic Live Updates are enabled. Sometimes
this issue can be caused by incorrect setup of the Scheduler task
that handles Live Updating. You should check Task Scheduler's
log and make sure that NAV's scheduling agent is running with
the proper status code.

"Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
> Hello, All! My Norton Antivirus 2004 never `LiveUpdate' the definition
> files. Last month downloaded a definitions file from directly Symantec web
> site (almost 8mb). By now it is already one month old and I have to
> download again the LARGER definition file. I have a slow dial-up
> connection.
>
> Any solution for this nuisance?
>
> With best regards, Brother Brock. E-mail: Nobodyknows@unknown.com

Apparently, you are entitled to the 'free" liveupdates for a period of One
(1) year. If you registered it a ways back, your free period may be up.
You can always contact Symantec to renew your subscription to "Liveupdate".

"Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
> Hello, All! My Norton Antivirus 2004 never `LiveUpdate' the definition
> files. Last month downloaded a definitions file from directly Symantec web
> site (almost 8mb). By now it is already one month old and I have to
> download again the LARGER definition file. I have a slow dial-up
> connection.
>
> Any solution for this nuisance?
>
> With best regards, Brother Brock. E-mail: Nobodyknows@unknown.com

"Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
> Hello, All! My Norton Antivirus 2004 never `LiveUpdate' the definition
> files. Last month downloaded a definitions file from directly Symantec web
> site (almost 8mb). By now it is already one month old and I have to
> download again the LARGER definition file. I have a slow dial-up
> connection.
>
> Any solution for this nuisance?
>
> With best regards, Brother Brock. E-mail: Nobodyknows@unknown.com

You have to be online for it to be live updating. If you're not online at
the scheduled time, which may be am, it should warn you that you haven't
updated. But apparently it's not.

Also, updating once a month is a bad idea. You should be doing it every day,
at least. Your whole problem may be that a virus has crept in and disabled
Norton. I saw one recently that made it look like the software was running,
but all the definitions, update, etc. were disabled.

Forget a $29.95 (Subscription) or $39.95 Upgrade to 2005/2006.

Scrap Norton/Symantec and go get the eTrust 7 - 1-year free offer.
https://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry17c?V1=1313418&PID=&PN=1&SP=10034&SID=55939&CUR=840&CID=183867&api1=78&api2=1360

"Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Apparently, you are entitled to the 'free" liveupdates for a period of One
> (1) year. If you registered it a ways back, your free period may be up.
> You can always contact Symantec to renew your subscription to
> "Liveupdate".
>

> "Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
>> Hello, All! My Norton Antivirus 2004 never `LiveUpdate' the definition
>> files. Last month downloaded a definitions file from directly Symantec
>> web
>> site (almost 8mb). By now it is already one month old and I have to
>> download again the LARGER definition file. I have a slow dial-up
>> connection.
>>
>> Any solution for this nuisance?
>>
>> With best regards, Brother Brock. E-mail: Nobodyknows@unknown.com

LU usually presents an error code if there's a problem. Is this a a secret?

"Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
> Hello, All! My Norton Antivirus 2004 never `LiveUpdate' the definition
> files. Last month downloaded a definitions file from directly Symantec web
> site (almost 8mb). By now it is already one month old and I have to
download
> again the LARGER definition file. I have a slow dial-up connection.
>
> Any solution for this nuisance?
>
> With best regards, Brother Brock. E-mail: Nobodyknows@unknown.com

Hello Brothers!

If NAV 2004 program download the balance of the last month definition file,
via 'LiveUpdate' the file size would be very small (I guess). Please correct
me if I am wrong.....

Actually what I meant is every month I will have to download the definition
file from this
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

site manually. The file size was almost 8mb last time. Could somebody send
the file by email? Any such service available at the internet? I guess the
mail download is faster than an http download…..

| Hello Brothers!
|
| If NAV 2004 program download the balance of the last month definition
file,
| via 'LiveUpdate' the file size would be very small (I guess). Please
correct
| me if I am wrong.....
|
| Actually what I meant is every month I will have to download the
definition
| file from this
| http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html
|
| site manually. The file size was almost 8mb last time. Could somebody send
| the file by email? Any such service available at the internet? I guess the
| mail download is faster than an http download…..
|
| With best regards, Brother Brock. E-mail: Nobodyknows@unknown.com

If you purchase a virus update subscription from Symantec, you wouldn't have
this problem. I believe they are $19.95 for a year's worth of automatic
updates.